Plumbing An Accusump System

Lucid Moments

Due to an engine failure at my last track event at Carolina Motorsports park I am in the process of rebuilding my motor. My mechanic has been too busy to crack the old motor apart to determine the exact problem, but we have it narrowed down to two. One of which is oil starvation. As an answer to this potential problem I will be adding a baffled oil pan and an Accusump system. The question I have now is exactly how to plumb the Accusump to the car. I see two main options and they are:

1. Get a sandwich adaptor and run with it. This seems like the simplest solution, and if I go ahead and do this I will probably also add a remote oil filter as well. Doing this we would simply "T" off the line coming from the filter back to the engine. This is also the easiest to adapt to other engines, so if and when this engine goes its just a matter of spinning the adapter on to whatever new engine I need to go with.

2. The alternative is to tap the block somewhere for oil supply. This would definitely make for a cleaner and simpler install, but would require a machine shop to do it. It also of course means that if I want to use this system on any additional motors I will have to have them tapped as well.

Does anyone see any options that I'm not seeing? Have any opinions on which way would be better?

Option #1 is probably the "best" route. You can also buy a sandwich adapter with only one inlet port for the Accusump. I think I have one lying around somewhere for a 4.6 Ford motor. If that's what you need, PM me. I'll ever use it.

Plenty of folks just 'T' into the oil pressure sending unit port. It's a small hole (1/8" NPT) but it seems to flow well enough (fed by -10 hose) to avoid intermittent oil starvation (and provide pre-start oiling).

I would avoid the block tapping unless you know why it failed before and you are sure the new supply point will help.

A) Do you have an oil cooler? Some people like to T off the oil cooler return line so they have cooler oil for the accusump.

B) Sandwich plate.

Some things to consider:

You do not want unfiltered oil in your accusump, because metals can cause wear and failure.

You do not want a large restriction right before the accusump because you can cause oil starvation refilling the accusump after it dumps.

Many people swear by accusumps and they can be a help for those that cannot dry sump, but they are not an absolute solution. Keep that in mind when choosing where to tap in and how to run your lines. I do not have one and will just skip to dry sump when the time comes.

I would avoid the block tapping unless you know why it failed before and you are sure the new supply point will help.

A) Do you have an oil cooler? Some people like to T off the oil cooler return line so they have cooler oil for the accusump.

B) Sandwich plate.

Some things to consider:

You do not want unfiltered oil in your accusump, because metals can cause wear and failure.

You do not want a large restriction right before the accusump because you can cause oil starvation refilling the accusump after it dumps.

Many people swear by accusumps and they can be a help for those that cannot dry sump, but they are not an absolute solution. Keep that in mind when choosing where to tap in and how to run your lines. I do not have one and will just skip to dry sump when the time comes.

I do not currently have an oil cooler on my system, oil temperature has not been an issure so far. whatever I do will be after the oil lfilter. I realize that an accusump is not a cure all, but it is the best I can do at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an accusump and have a "T" after my remote oil filter. I use an adaptor on my motor that eliminated the filter.

The system works great.