What about using a 928 oil filter?

Tim Comeau

My red car came with a stack of 928 oil filters. It looks like it would fit, has the same threads, base seal. This would not increase performance, but would add to the volume of oil in the car, making it more reliable like the 951 oil cooler does.

Any problems with different internals, that is, is the pressure relief valve a different psi? Flow the same? Anything else?

Sounds like a good idea on the surface.

It's not in the rules!! But it's not as silly as some of the other conversations we've had!! BTW why is a Turbo oil cooler alowed? It wasn't an option on the 944's. If you want to increase engine life allow the air/oil seperator!

not in the rules yet......If there aren't any technical reasons why we shouldn't use the 928 oil filter, I think we should add it to the rules. No extra cost? Just better for the cars.

The 951 oil cooler is in the rules and the reasons included. Any oil cooler can be used.

Tim,

Please post a picture of how the 928 oil filter is larger.

Rather keep to 944 parts unless we see a valid reason. Sorry but "I have alot of those parts" is not valid reason. Oil filters are not very expensive consider the costs of things like gas.

Huh?

Of course my having alot of these parts is no reason to include them in the rules..................Not sure where that came from.........

As I said, I don't believe the 928 filter will be much more expensive, if at all.

The 928 oil filter is just longer/taller. Same diameter.

This might be a good idea if:

1. the cost is the same

2. it fits perfectly

Because:

1. it will increase the oil capacity of the engine. More oil= cooler oil.

2. it will provide twice? the filtering capability. The 928 has twice as many cylinders.

Our engines are "half" of the 928, right?

So, this might be something good for our engines, without costing more $, or providing a performance advantage.

Whaddaya think, guys?

Not in the rules yet? There have been no rule changes since last year. No track, no header/CR change etc. Last time Dan posted he seemed to like things the way they were. Go ahead and use the filters I don't see the point of even arguing something like that. Unless you want to talk about all the other non-performance enhancing issues also.

Lets just race!!

When you fill and check the oil level, it does include what's in the filter does it? I don't think so. So, how do you know how much extra you can add?

Always thinking.

P.Dilly.

The filter must have a larger volume than the ones we normally use. I can't imagine that it's that much bigger that the stock one. Think how big a quart of oil is. Maybe it would increase total oil capacity by half a quart? And that's probably stretching it. Maybe 1/4 of a quart. I'm not sure that something like that will make a difference.

Interesting thought though.

Good questions, guys.

Dylan, All of our oil drains down to the pan for measuring? Or does some remain in the galleries, etc.? So I'm not sure how much higher you can fill it because of the longer filter. I would think you must fill it higher because more of your oil will be trapped in the bigger filter. I 'spose I could measure how much oil each filter will take? The 928 oil filter is about 6.5 inches compared to the 944 one at 4.5 inches.

Ok guys.

Real simple.

Fill oil level to Full on the dip stick. Run the car for a a minute or two then shut down and check oil level. Fill untill full. That short run pumps oil every place needs to go.

An Chris's observation is correcnt. Not much more oil will be added. May 1/4 of quart. Listen guys 1/4 quart is not going mean much. As for more filtration. Personally I don't know about you guys, but I change my oil and filter long before a bunch of crap can build up. Changing after every two to three events means my oil looks CLEAN when I pull it out and add new filter. The reason I change it is due to the high stress and heat loads it undergoes. Thus it's molecular structure can breakdown causing a loss of protection. I don't change it because it is dirty.

I still am un convinced that we should allow anything other than stock filters (or stock equvalent).

Tim,

Ebay the 928 filters.

I change my oil after every event weekend and filter every other event weekend. Oil is clean and good to go. It may be overkill but better safe than sorry!.

Hmmmmph!? I just use synthetic oil with a healthy portion of Molybdenum Disulphide. The synthetic oil doesn't breakdown like natural based oil and the MoS2 molecules keep it more stable under high temp conditions. It's called Liqui-Moly. Works fine, lasts long time.

I'm like Eric, change after each weekend, sept I do the filter each time too. Jiffy Lube special baby. At about 48 for a filter, it's cheap maintenance in the scheme of things.

P.Billy.

I believe it's even cheaper to run synthetic and not change it every event! Time is money!

Cheap insurance is one thing, but you can cross over into overkill territory, don't you think? Peace of mind and confidence in your machine are worth alot, but......................

Different schools of thought.

Yeah, that 20 mins to drive to JL about 1/4 mile up the street, pull in, change oil, pay and then drive home again just kills me! Anyway, I thought others were saying synthetic will come out every hole in your engine? I already have some minor oil leaks I need to rectify.

P.Dilly.Overkill.

Syntheics do leak more than Dino oil.

Reason is simple. Lower viscosity at low temps. This means it can fine much smaller leaks that Dino oil. Syntheic won't cause leaks, but will leak much more on the tiny ones you do have.

That said I am solid fan of Amsoil 20/50 series 2000 racing oil. I used to run Mobil 1 in the car and it seemed to work fine. Only problem was lowering oil pressure during runs. My stock gauge would start at 5bar on the track then drop to as low as 3 bar during runs. I had Dino oil in other cars that did this too and figured it was normal. Well I have come to find out that the Amsoil did not do this and this was not good oil behavior. I reluctantly put in the Amsoil and found that my oil pressure stayted 4 to 4.5 bar during the entire race.

Now why is this important? Well rod bearings my friends. These suckers are a little marginal. There are alot potetial reasons for failire, but one thing I do know is that to prevent failure you MUST maintian the oil film at the bearing surface. Well one way that can be done is to ensure that the oil maintains its viscosity during operations. The flip side is that of the oil is thinning then it will not provide as much protection so a 50% reduction in oil flow to the bearing could result in damage (spun bearing or blown up motor) where by mainting viscosity that momentary 50% might not cause metal to metal contact.

Seems to me that getting the highest quality oil I can is an important maintence step that "free" in the rules.

BTW... I change my Amsoil after every third event or so.

Another thing. I believe Redline racing oils are probably the equal of Amsoil racing oils. I would not recommend Mobil 1 in any 944-race car. It is true that oil cannot prevent all failures, but I consider it a cheap way to push the odds a little more in my favor.