Question for HC rule makers/enforcers and other competitors

0x1

Hi all -

I am currently building an H4 CRX. I got some bad news from the machine shop yesterday that the D16A6 block I took them has a hairline crack in it that I didn't find when I was disasembling the motor. I've been looking around for a replacement block, but I'm finding it very hard to find one. Most people want to sell these motors complete. So here's my question:

If I run with D16A6 ('88 CRX Si stock motor) pistons, rods, crank, head, everything, would it be acceptable to use a different D-series block and have it bored to the proper size?

It is my impression that most of the D-series blocks are identical, so there would be absolutely no difference from a stock Si motor other than the code stamped on the block. The reason I want to do this is that other D-series blocks (say the D15B8) are considerably cheaper and much easier to find due to higher supply and lower demand. Also, I have a SOHC ZC motor in the CRX right now which I believe has an identical block to the D16A6. As a last resort, I could use that block since I know it is in good condition. What do you guys think?

- Scott

That does not sound like a good idea to me. It is hard enough for tech inspectors and group leaders to make sure all competitors and running within the rules. It would become tirsome if every time someone had a question about the legality of you car (and they will) you had to explain that you are honest competitor and build your 125 HP ZC engine down to the 108 of the A6.

Try atarcco motors, the sell used imported engines for nothing. We have been running one in our 2nd gen 'teg and in our 1st gen CRX for a long time without problems. In fact, the one in the CRX has ran two full seasons of sprints, a 6 hour enduro, and a 25 hour enduro, and we plan to run it again this winter in the 25 hour with confidence, and we got it for $300!

If you don't want to go that route, we may have a D16A6 shortblock we can sell you.

Mike Lock

GOTO:Racing Fabrication

#45 HC4 Del sol si

Thanks for the advice. You make a good point. I didn't find atarrco motors on the web; how would I contact them? Are you located in CA? If you have a short block you'd be willing to part with, let me know what you'd want for it. I'd rather do that than buy a whole motor when all I need is the block. What do you think an A6 shortblock weighs? I was trying to estimate that for shipping.

Thanks,

Scott

We are in Santa Cruz. Lemme look around and see if we still have it. Have you put a cage in you new car yet? We build custom roll cages and would love to get one of our cages into an out of area car. Check out our website http://www.gotoracing.com.

Attarco is a CA bay area company and they do not have a website for some reason. their phone is 408 452 8200. I'm not sure if they ship, but I know that they are CHEAP! It would be worth the $150 or so it might cost to ship the engine.

If you have any other cage or car prep questions feel free to email us at [email protected]. We are glad to assist you.

Mike Lock

#45 HC4 Del sol si

Yeah, I did call them. They had a whole motor for $550, which isn't bad, but I only need a block. I was hoping to avoid buying a whole motor. Thanks for the suggestion though.

- Scott

Hey Mike, does that desire to get a cage in an out-of-the-region car lead to any kind of discount?

I'm shopping around for my Integra LS MWHC car and you guys seem to build some quality stuff. Either way, kudos on what appears to be very nice work.

There are at least two ZC blocks that I know of. They have different bolt patterns for the transmission.

The early one won't mate with the DX, SI transmission, and the late one has a different crankshaft and rods than the A6.

Based on this the ZC block IS NOT a direct replacement for an A6 block.

Thanks for the info. I've decided against using the ZC block, but the idea was that I could use the A6 crank and rods/pistons that I have (only the block was bad) in the ZC block which is already mated to the stock tranny.

Hey duo,

If you want to haul you car out here to santa cruz, we'll definitely give you a discount, I'm not sure it would quite cover your travel costs though . What kind of car do you have? Good luck!

-Mike Lock

#45 H4 Del Sol si