New AI West Driver start in Oct

V8cobra99

"you are about to drop off into a long dark hole..." For the past year I (several years really) I have wanted to convert my 1999 Mustang Cobra into an AI car. Well, its done now. I will start in October at ButtonWillow. Setp at Willow Springs, I will be at the race school. I thought I could prep the car for $2K, so far it's nearly 3x that....

Andy Bowman

John,

not sure what specifics you want. I have been consulting everyone on preping the car. I will be running the IRS in the rear, I really wanted it because I think the handling is better the straight axle. All the suspension is being beefed up and all the necessary safety items being added. I have taken about 250lbs off the car, so far. I think more is needed to come off so I am thinking of Lexan front and rear windows. The door windows and power systems are currently still in it. The dash is slightly gutted, most of the stereo system is out. The tranny is stock and running 3.73 rear final. Wheel width is exactly 72.25in. Installing a Diff cooler this week from KB, as well as KB radiator, fans, heatexchanger for the oil. Canton 7qrt oil pan. Mostly KB suspension. Steeda competition 800-1000lbs front springs.

Andy

I started AI in March. Get all of the weight out of the car that you can. Believe me. Good luck and enjoy. Your first green flag in race conditions is a moment that you will never forget.

Peder,

Yes, I know about Rob and Slib, in N. Cal. Thanks. I followed his efforts for a long time. Now, he went to a an STi and still fast.

Andy

The pics were on the ABS trhead, but I didn't want to hijack it.

One bit of advice for you. Get some screen for the big lower opening on you CObra R nose. We use 1/4" square hole screen. If/when you go off track, this will help stop rocks and garbage from damaging your radiator. In Rob's case, he went off track and a rock or somehing got scooped up and broke his serpentine belt.

You can see some current pics at http://photos.yahoo.com/v8cobra99 I will post more in a week or so.

Thanks Racercosmo. Yes, I do have some screening, just not installed just yet. The AC condensor radiator which sits in front of the cooling radiator was completely damaged from track events over the years. At the recent events I did install screening, also for the brake ducting.

Andy

http://photos.yahoo.com/v8cobra99

some new pictures added. short exhaust tips, steeda full comp front springs, IRS urethane bushings in now, canton oil pan in. Oil temp and oil pressure gages are in now also. And I now have the diff oil cooler kit which I hope to get installed this weekend.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

How do you like the dumps? My exhaust is hitting my MM PHB and i'm thinking of just dumping mine like you did. Car looks like fun, wish I was out there to see you pop your AI cherry!

-c

Edited by Guest

The exhaust dumps sound good. I can save another 30+ lbs if I remove the mufflers, so we will see. I was wanting to keep the mufflers on. I did the dumps also to remove the pipes that run under the differential to decrease heat on the Diff.

• 2 weeks later...