Jim Marks joins the class! Welcome!

Packfill

1) Where can I get a REAL work manual for the 944.

2) What are you guys doing for brake cooling..(Dylans looks very cool)

3) Where can I order the 924s 5th gear.

4) How do I get a calendar for local DE and AX.

5) Which organizations do you suggest I join...

Thanks!!

Jim Marks

86 Spec-944 (Car unnumbered as yet)

1) Ebay - Factory mauals come up every now and then but usually you can get them on CD.

2) I have nothing yet. Some run a duct to a hose and direct the flow directly on the back of the brake assy.

3) It's a 2 gear set. Most shops can order it. Figure about $700-800 installed. Or you may be able to source a tranny with LSD for about that amount maybe a tad more.

4) http://www.nasaproracing.com, http://www.porscheownersclub.com TCRA is another one but not sure of the web site. Local PCA or SDRPCA San Diego have alot of DE's at Qualcom Stadium.

5) NASA for sure PCA and POC if you need more events. Get into the DE and work your way up to the racing class and them come join us for the fun!!

Jim, Whose car did you bring back from PHX? Tyler's or Glenn's?

It's not just a 924S 5th gear. It did come on the 87-88 924S's , but it also came stock on the 88 944's.

PCA San Diego Region has lots of events at the stadium which are great for learning car control AND keeping it sharp. So many guys stop ax'ing once they start racing and I think that's a mistake. AX'ing IS the same as road racing, but it's compressed in time. Join NASA, POC, and the PCA.

You don't really need brake ducting in our cars. Has anybody over heated their brakes on any tracks?

Because I rent my cars out, I have a master calendar on my office wall, which shows every event from every sanctioning body in the South West, including Mexican races in Tijuana, Tecate, Mexicali. You can go to the various websites and build the same thing.

Welcome to our class. Let us know how we can help you with your car. Pick a number that's not currently being used and we'll get some number plates made up for you, as well as, your name for the windshield.

At your service,

Thanks Tim!

Your attitude and the quality of your response is why I am joining this class.

I bought (traded) for Tylers car. I have always been number 61, but it is taken...

I am thinking about 51. Right now the car is a charcoal (stealth) black. (read:ugly) with no decals. I will need to find out where to get the NASA, POC, Spec-944 decals...

Where can I buy the gear, inexpensively.... I would like to pull the tranny, etc, myself....

I am looking for any/all practice...don't care if it is an AX, DE, etc... PLease let me know.

Thanks!!

Earl Schieb, $199 will fix the paint situation. Maybe even tape it off yourself in some simple design and pay a little extra for them to shoot two colors? Just look at their colors before you make decisions as they are limited in choice.

Brake ducting on my car is simple airconditioning hose from Kragen and some cable ties. Easy really.

NASA decals you get from NASA at one of their events. $1 per sticker.

Number plates come from a place in San Diego, name escapes me at the minute but Tim will know it.

Get on it and get in it! Giddy up!

P.Dilly.

dude your car is not ugly just saw it.. I dig it!!! ... once you get grapics and the decals on it you will dig it!!!

besides.. its a race car so who cares!!

.. and why do you want to pull the tranny?

Jason

I have about a month before the Doc will clear me to get back in a Kart (or racecar) so I wanted to put in the short 5th gear....

Jason.

Here in Az the short 5th is not huge issue. Never use 5th AMP, and a little at PIR. The So Cal guys really like it.

Jim

Personaly it is something nice, but right off the bat it will not be thing that will make you a little slow. I have seen it that every guy entering the series. (except for tyler that bugger who was fast after a day and half ) was slow right out of the box. And their lack of speed had nothing to do with car. Even with some racing experience it takes some time to get -up to speed in these cars. Even Tim was slow to start with. Sure he may say it was the car,but first even he got lapped a PIR and was running 5 seconds off the pace. Well times change. Tim learned the car tweak it to his liking and is fast. Most other guys are the same. Slower at first then it takes bit to get comfortable with these cars. You will need to get used to poor power to weight ratio and feeling of tons of body roll in the transition from the world of Karts. It will take a bit. So in that time you can search for a 5th gear. Best is to get them used from 924S, 88 944, or 944 Turbo gearboxes. You have an LSD in there so Don't swap the gearbox.

First mission is get seat time in the car. It will be you most valueable investment.

Joe,

I agree! The 5th gear thing was less about going fast now, and more about the itch to work on my new car. I just had back surgery (6weeks) and it will probably be another month before I am cleared to drive my Kart or Race car. Tyler did a great job with Race Prep and there is not much the car needs, so I just figured I would tinker with the stuff that I will want, eventually...

Another question. I took the car out to practice "heel/toe" and found it very difficult. The brake is much taller than the accelerator and my foot is way to cocked to be comfortable. Any suggestions?

I also figured out that my biggest hurdle will not be the suspension...it is the brakes. I have NEVER right foot braked a car. In karts and my cars (automatics), I have always left foot braked......

Thanks for the great advice....... taken.

Jim Marks

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. You know I try hard to keep this big snow ball rolling and in the right direction. I realize that I'm part of something GOOD here, so that keeps me enthusiastic. I like to believe that if I left the series for any reason, the core guys would step up and carry the flag. It might sound corny to some people, but we have an unusually GOOD group of people in this class.....and attitudes are contagious!

So if you like what you're becoming a part of........pass it on to the guys newer than yourself.

With respect to your car.......

1. You might consider leaving the paint for now. The color is unique in the class and that's good. Consider some vinyl graphics to dress it up? You can always heat them up and peel them off later. I have lots of ideas. Whenever an idea hits me, I draw it out and then file it for somebody to use later.

2. The graphics shop for our series number plates is FINAL TOUCH GRAPHICS in San Diego. 858.558.1071. Justin or John.

3. The brake ducting is low priority on the list.

4. I agree with Joe regarding track time, though I disagree with his explanation of my being slow at first! It wasn't my driving. He must have forgotten that I had no alignment, no corner balance, no rear sway bar, stock front sway bar, 250 lb front springs, was 150 lbs heavy, and I was running on old yoko's (out of spec) during my first race at PIR. I had a blast running the car just the same and was glad that Dan, the series director out there, let me run on an "out of spec" tire.

5. Build your master calendar of events and get lots of seat time.

I wanted to post a welcome topic for Jim Marks, but since we already had this topic going for his welcoming, I simply changed the topic title. Hope that isn't seen as offensive to anybody. Again, glad to have another karter, Jim!

I simply changed the topic title. Hope that isn't seen as offensive to anybody. Again, glad to have another karter, Jim!

Timmy, start your own damn Welcome thread ya cheap bastard! Now Timmy, I think the power of moderator has gone to your head. You need to stop changing peoples posts. Please refrain. Cyberspace is free here, no need to be cheap.

P.Dilly.

p.s. Yes, Welcome Jim!

You should be thankfull he's moderating as he removed my pic of you dancing in that thong!! That was just plain wrong!!

Ah, cut it out, Dilly.........

being a moderator hasn't gone to my head at all. I was using "my powers" for good.

I'm not changing people's posts. No content was deleted or even altered. I'm sensitive to that.

I know space is cheap, but people's time isn't.

Just trying to keep it neat and tidy. No need to start another thread that says the same thing.......then guys would have to sort through 2 topics to read about Jim and help him. Make sense?

Just thought it would be a more efficient way to do it.

Man, is my forehead sore from those aluminum cans................

Tim you can tell be the number of posts most of us have WAY TOO much time on our hands. Or we just work in an industry where being on a PC is a part of our day! Look at out threads comared to every other NASA thread. WE beat them on and off the track!! O.K. maybe not all of them on the track!!

Tim

Excuses, excuses! I am reminded of a scene in the Blues Brothers where Carrie Fisher is about to shoot John Belushi and he pleads with her with a list of excuses ending with "IT'S NOT MY FAULT". It sounds a bit like your post point number 4 above.

Seat time is by far the most important investment you can make!

By the way, I tend to agree with the others. It's not nice to change threads. One point not made is I had to leave before writing this response and when I came back I had trouble finding the thread again since you had changed the name!

Wow, just the fact that my welcome post contained references to transmissions, graphics AND thongs confirms that I chose the right class...

I am working on the car as we speak, and with just a couple of more days in the wind tunnel......

Jim Marks

Ok, let us know if you need any parts........Dylan will take them off his car to get yours to the track.......Right, Dylan?