Manual Headlight Operation Suggestions

153bigblock

Hello. First time posting. I posted this question over at Rennlist too. I am slowly building my car into a racer and thought I would get some suggestions over here. I have a 1983 Guard's 944. Anyway, I want to eliminate the auto pop-up feature on my car by eliminating the motor, linkage, etc. while being able to manually lift both sides and still use my headlights. Anyone have a suggestion how I can just have buckets with some sort of manual latching up and down of each lamp/lamp housing? Has anyone done this? Thanks. Michael

Does it need to look good? Seems like you could lock it down with something like a hood pin, and hold it up with a pin/cotter.

Another option would be a drop-in, pull-out ligth assemmbly. Rather than locking it down, you just pull it out and unplug a wire.

The simplest thing to do would be:

Fine where two peices of metal (moving parts between the light and the frame) are parallel to eachother, drill a hole through them, and insert a bolt.

All good suggestions. Thank you. Yes, I will want to keep it spec legal. Also, cost is a consideration. Hardware store here I come. I just thought someone might have invented this wheel before.

All good suggestions. Thank you. Yes, I will want to keep it spec legal. Also, cost is a consideration. Hardware store here I come. I just thought someone might have invented this wheel before.

I did this on my 924S. I cut two pieces of 2x2 wood to fit (very) tightly between the back of the metal framework that sticks out the back of the headlight and the corner between the out fender and the front of the wheelwell. Wedging that wood in there would prop up the headlights, and taking it out would drop them. It was simple, and very effective - no rattling, etc. Just make sure the block fits tight

For a while I had the plastic surround around the headlights out, but then the headlight covers would catch air, and open up the headlights up at speed.

Where are you from? Introduce yourself on the 944 forum, and over at http://www.944Spec.org - lots of information there!

Thanks Eric. That sounds perfect! Simple, cheap and easy. I will give it a go.

Sorry, I didn't properly introduce myself. I am in the LA area (So Cal/Santa Monica).

I will check out your link.

I hate to impose, but maybe you can snap a couple of digis when you have a chance so I can see exactly what you did. I am spatially limited.

Thanks again.

Michael