Registration

Racebrat

What makes you think it's NASA that's gouging, and not Mid-Ohio?

Personally, I'd bet most of it is Mid-O...

The Regional events are much different than the Nationals. Nationals is a spectator event and the costs that Mid-Ohio charges the sanctioning body are quite a bit higher. Hey, you can always park out in the grass Paddock for free, many racers do. Just my opinion.

The costs for NASA to lease the facility should be about the same in September as they were last month in April. However if that's true, that's just as bad but not on NASA. Mid-O jacking their prices up 5x because this is a "National" event is outrageous. Sucks, too, I was all gung-ho to register and go to my first Nationals and this was like water on a fire.

I will be parking in the grass for sure.

Patrick

I realize this was posted a long time ago, but I want to clarify a couple of things in an attempt to relax what appears to be ill feelings. While the cost PER DAY to rent Mid-Ohio is probably about the same for NASA National as it was for NASA Great Lakes, remember that the region only rented for 3 days and the national office is renting the facility for 4 days.

First of all, the garages are not 5x the price when you break it down. The region weekend at Mid-Ohio is $200 for 3 days. The $1000 for the Championships is for all 7 days - Monday-Sunday. Is it more per day? Yes, but not 5 times the price. In fact it is just slightly over twice the price - 2.15x to be exact.

Second, I have been on the OVR-SCCA race committee for several years now and you would not believe what it costs to rent Mid-Ohio for only 2 days like the SCCA does to hold their region events (they don't do Fridays). When Mid-Ohio decided to turn the garages over to the renting sanctioning body a few years ago instead of handling it themselves, they increased the facility rental charges by $3500 per day for the weekend (again, just 2 days). That means that the renting sanctioning body is payin an additional $125 per day for each garage.

Knowing that, $199 for the weekend ($66.34 per day) is a steal. At the same time, $1000 for the entire week is still a good price at $142.86 per day. When you know the actual figures, NASA is only making $125 profit (if you want to call it that) for each garage. At the same time you have to realize that the national office is paying for a lot more to go on at the Championships than the local region pays for. Tents, for example, are not cheap to rent. Just ask Carl P. about the invoice he received for utilizing one of the tents in July.

Brian, those are very interesting figures, but how many racers actually use their garage for seven day? Not many.

Anyone that is paying for the test days Monday-Wednesday would have the opportunity to use their garage for all 7 days. You could always share a garage with someone that is doing the tests and cut your costs in half. The SCCA racers used to come in and test for the entire week before the Runoffs week. There was 10 days of testing for that event and people did pay $2500 for a garage for 2 weeks - and almost every garage was full for the entire 2 weeks.

• Roman V. unpinned this topic