race seat

V8cobra99

Is it best to install a side mount semi fixed seat, or a bottom mount seat? The bottom mount seat, is it allowed to to be mounted on a slider? With a back brace?

Thanks,

Andy Bowman

I can't comment intelligently on the benefits of a side mount, semi-fixed versus bottom mount seat, but I can tell you what I have and that it is acceptable for NASA and SCCA T2 rules. Obivously I have passed NASA tech with it and it has been to a local speed shop (for an alignment) run by some enthusiastic SCCA folk that were looking for ways to criticize the car from the SCCA perspective and they had no comment on the seat/seat mount design.

I have a Corbeau, bottom-mounted seat with a plate support against the back of it that attaches to the cage. The shop that built the car installed the seat with the Corbeau slider mechanism and it works like a normal, manual car seat. The only difference is that the plate on the back of the seat is welded to a "slider" and you have to loosen some bolts to permit the plate to move with the seat, then tighten when you are finished with the adjustment.

If you look at the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 11th, 12th and 13th picture at this link, you'll get an idea of how it is built.

http://community.webshots.com/album/126797389yxzdMI

Those pictures weren't taken to specifically illustrate the design of the seat/slider. If you'd like, I can take some specific pictures and post them/send them to you. Just say the word.