Questions on how to become a racecar driver

0x1

I'm planning on adding an H4 CRX si to the Arizona HC field this fall. I just wanted some advice from experienced drivers on things I need to do to reach that goal.

Can I just tell you all how excited I am to start road racing? It's rediculous. I think about it multiple times everyday. I've been wanting to do this since I was like 5. Anyway, on to my question.

So here's what I've done so far:

- Been to some HPDE's to make sure it's something that I'll really enjoy

- Got my medical sheet filled out by my doctor

- Got my car pretty much prepped (still need to swap in a D16A6 to run H4 ... it's at the machine shop, but having difficulties ... can get killed in H1 w/ the ZC until the A6 gets sorted out ... at which point I can get killed in H4 )

- Got a tow vehicle

- Got a helmet

- Signed up for the competitive driving school in AZ Sept 12-13th

Here's what I think is left:

- Apply for competition license (after the school right?)

- Get the required stickers, etc needed for HC

- Get a car number (How does that work?)

- Get a firesuit

- Get tech'd (How does that work?)

So what am I missing? Are there any administrative kinds of things that I have overlooked? I'm very paranoid about missing something since I'm totally new to this, so any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

The NASA CCR lays out 90% of the requirements to get your license. The HC rulebook will finish off. Read both of these (you're gonna need to know the contents for your comp. license school anyway).

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking that we would get the CCR at the school. I didn't realize that it is online. I'm printing it off right now and I'll give it a good thorough read.

Best word of advice that I can give you is don't spend big money on an engine. Find one that runs, and don't mess with it. The best built and most reliable honda engines are the ones built by honda. They may lack 2 or 3 hp but they will run for years. Spend that money on track time, you will get faster in less time and with less money.

Mike Lock

GOTO:Racing Fabrication

#45 H4 Del Sol si

• Members

Scott,

Contact your Regional Director for your other questions. He can give you a car number, decals, and setup a time to inspect your car and issue a logbook. Other than that, it sounds like you are on your way to a great time.

Please post here if there is anything all the HC racers can do to help!

Regards,

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Mike - I think I'll take your advice. I was rebuilding the orginal motor just because I had it sitting in my garage and it seemed logical, but since I found out that the block is cracked, it now makes much less sense. I found a whole longblock + tranny combo in Phoenix for $350. Hopefully it's in good shape. It's pretty hard to find these motors in decent condition considering that they are 13 years old at the youngest. However, it's encouraging that I've heard people say that they're out there racing on these motors w/ 150K+ miles on them. Gotta love Hondas!

Ryan - Our regional director is Dan Webb right (AZ)? I'll try to contact him to let him know that I'm in the class in Sept and that I want to enter competition. Thanks.