newbie engine build question

mseachrist

Hi all

I have just gotten interested in nasa and I intend to start in hpde 1 and possible work up to some kind of time trial or other competitive event. As I have an engine I am preparing for a build, I would like to know where I can find SFI rating needed for specific components. I figured that if I get these before I start building now, it will save me from tearing down in the future. Any direction would be helpful.

Thanks

Mike

Hi all

I have just gotten interested in nasa and I intend to start in hpde 1 and possible work up to some kind of time trial or other competitive event. As I have an engine I am preparing for a build, I would like to know where I can find SFI rating needed for specific components. I figured that if I get these before I start building now, it will save me from tearing down in the future. Any direction would be helpful.

Thanks

Mike

not sure what components you are talking about?? SFI is a safety rating. More for personal safety, Helmets, suits, gloves. seat belts, seats...ect... Not sure "anything" SFI rated is needed or made for engine building. Just take your time and build the motor so it stays together. Don't take any short cuts. Thats the best advice I can give.

Typically the only SFI-rated engine/drivetrain components you would be concerned about for road racing are harmonic dampers, flywheels, and scattershields.