Can you bend an aluminum seat?

dweymer

My car came with a very nice butler built seat. It has those rib wings though, and they are so narrow I can't fit into it. Is it possible to bend them out with a bottle jack without compromising the seat? I know, the best answer here is to sell/trade it for a wider one, but I still want to know if I can bend it.

D

I have a Kirkey and I just bent the wings (slightly) with my hands. Is a Butler that much harder to work with?

makes you wonder how that seat will hold up in a crash if you can bend it by hand..

The rib wings should not be really really rigid. Without a shoulder support, broken ribs ensue. A properly designed seat is meant to hold you tight without causing injury. Generally that means a little give for the squishy parts.

They have a channel support welded to the back of them. I bent them out today, worked fine. Now I fit in the seat nice and snug, but not so tight I can't breath.

They have a channel support welded to the back of them. I bent them out today, worked fine. Now I fit in the seat nice and snug, but not so tight I can't breath.

D:

I purchased a custom seat from Butler that is reinforced like yours. They instructed me to use a hydraulic porta power to "adjust" my rib protectors.

Dale

To answer the root question:Yes you can bend the aluminum... a bit... a few times. I'd suggest getting it right the first time.

Take a paperclip and bend it repeatedly, it will break. The same happens with all metatls if you exceed a certain limit. Just bending a Kirkeys rib wings shold be no problem at all. If your seat has reinforcment ribs, check to make sure they haven't crumpled as a result of your bending. If so, they've been compramised.

Another thing you should think about. The rib supports are not a good idea. The don't provide any protection and you don't want to support the body in the rib area. You need a seat with good rib and shoulder support. There is a lot more mass there to provide some support.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance