Drilling cage inspection holes...questions....

shiners780

I did search, but I am still uncertain. I would like some clarification before I go drilling holes in my cage.

I was thinking of drilling one 3/16" hole in each of the following bars:

Main hoop

Diagonal

One door bar

One rear stay

My questions are 1) is this sufficient, and 2) does it matter where on the tube the hole is drilled?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Another question is how you determine what a "non-critical area" is?

If you are required to drill holes, drill them about an inch from the end of a tube, at points in the tubes farthest from the driver. I recommend not drilling any holes in the cage until a scruitineer asks you to, carry a cordless drill and 3/16" bit with you just in case.

It's 2008, time to stop drilling holes in tubing and tempting someone "add thickness" to the tube at the check point instead of using a tool that can check the tube thickness at any point:

Combo-Pic-300-Wide.jpg

My only addition to what MH added would be to go a little further than an inch from a weld point. At 1" in, you may still be in the HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) of the weld.

Mike is very much right though. We need to stop requiring drilling holes in our cages.

FWIW my cage guy drilled the inspection holes in the main and front hoops about midway between the floor and the door bar. He also drilled a hole in the passenger door bar about 2" from the front hoop. He sprayed some clear lacquer around it too, but I am going to go back and probably cover them with silicone caulk. Too many days in the rain already this year.

But I'm with those guys above, I don't think we should be drilling holes in cages.

Hope that helps.

Patrick