New Harnesses required.

PeanutinCA

What's the good word gentlemen? Any suggestions, good buys? The pull ups (not like Comeau wears) for the lap belts are good. I prefer the camlock style. Anyone got a good line on some (new)? Is 3" better than 4"? I asked the wife but she said nothing less than 6? Not sure you can get belts that wide can you? I have the HANS device so I wonder if I need the 4" over the 3"? Did you have 3" at Fontana for Tribute Comeau? I think they worked fine with the HANS that weekend?

Thanks,

P.Dilly.

I heard SCCA is no longer going to allow 5pt harnesses in the future. They are going to 6 and 7pt harnesses. Not sure if any change might happen in other orgs, but something to consider.

I got a set schroth FIA 6pt 3" wide belts at the start of the year. These are good for 5 years since they carry the FIA stamp.

I do know they make 2" should belts for HANS use. Supposely the 2" is designed to work with a HANS better than 3" ones.

Personally I am looking into a head & neck restraint. Considering HANS or Isaac. Both run about the same price and have different plusses and minuses. Not sure which one is right for me.

Dylan, nobody makes a 4" belt that I know of. Either 2" or 3".

You do need to make sure that your new harness system is compatible with the hans device. Some aren't.

I'd go with cam-lock, too.

What the hell does the 7th point of a harness hold down, Joe? Your tally wacker?

The best deal I've found lately is with Dave Turner Motorsports, a Tribute to Le Mans sponsor. Brand name is G-Force. They have a 5-point cam-lock of the SABELT/Sparco type. It's absolutely the best cam lock housing I've seen, even better than Schroth in that dept. These belts have the softer nylon webbing that's easier to work with from the git go. Good hardware to boot. They are all pull-downs, which can present adjusting difficulties in a deep seat, but are easy to work with once adjusted to the driver. They also carry FIA tags. I bought one system for the Convict car, then went back to get one for the red car. John Chambers just bought a set and loves them too. They were selling them for $139. Call Tim at Dave Turner Motorsports in San Diego at 858.571.3811.

At your service,

Pretty close to correct! The 7-pt belts use a 3-point sub-belt arrangement, essentially splicing together the sub belts from a 5 and 6 point. As with the improvement of a 6-pt over a 5-pt, the addition of the 7th attachment point provides further improvement in occupant restraint in impact, further reducing the chance for injury. Next chance I have, I'll be upgrading to one, as soon as my local belt maker (RJS Racing) starts making them. I have to actually talk to them about getting started on it, now that the market has been expanded for them.

Alert! Newbie Question!!

In order to use the 6 and 7 point belts, do you need to have a seat that has a pass through hole on the bottom between your legs. My car came with a 5 point harness and a Sparco Sprint seat. As it is set up now, the 5th belt comes from in front of the seat, (not through it) and into the harness. It seems like in a impact you would just slide forward 5-6 inches until you reached that harness and then it would make you sing "like a canary.."

Also, while I am posting. I need a lap timer. Are there built in beacons at the tracks? Magnetic Strips? What timers do they support? Where do you buy them?

-JM

"Race fans, I had inferred from my one trip to the Brickyard 400, fell into one of two categories: tattooed, shirtless, sewer-mouthed drunks, and their husbands."

-Steve Ruchin

You are correct, newbie! The lap belt and sub belts function jst like a climbing or parachute harness - till they're tight, NFG! (No Good) It is quite possible that you could cut a hole in the fabric and structure of your seat to pass these straps, as long as you trim the edges of the cuts well to avoid the chance of abrasion.

Lap timers - either you use the beacon that comes with yours or you pair up with someone else running the same type, assuming they're not coded (to each beacon/receiver pair - depends on brand I think). For example, I have an AIM data system with dash and lap counter/timer/etc. (think like the Pi systems, only cheaper by far), and we use a common beacon. Where to go, depends on what you want, but IIRC Longacre, OG Racing, Pegasus, all the usual racer places sell HotLap systems. The system I have comes from a local distributor for AIM, but you can find one out your way at their main website: http://www.aim-sportline.com/ There is another Italian brand of system that uses a magnetic strip, but from what I hear that's more common in karting than in car racing.

Yeah, Longacre has the Hotlap system (as well as all of their other Way Cool Super-Groovy Go-Fast stuff): http://www.longacreracing.com/

Jim,

Let me add to that.........

I'd purchase an AMB 260 transponder, wired in. No forgetting about recharging! This is what NASA, POC, PCA uses. That will cover you for race laps after you get out of the car.

For while you're in the car on the fly, I like the hot lap brand systems which are triggered by an infrared beam. (Sometimes the receiver will be fooled by a low angle Sun) You get to see your laptime as you finish each lap. Someone usually has a transmitter out there, so don't buy one unless you want to do private testing. Make sure to get the smaller go kart style display, if they're still making that in 2 sizes.

Buy the 10 foot cable that connects the receiver and the display. DO NOT replace it with a phone cable, they aren't the same and it won't work!

Carry extra 9V drycell batteries.

ps. I've always wanted to get about 5 Hot Lap transmitters and place them at various spots around the track at Willow so we could compare driving through various "sections" of the track. You could be faster at one section than me, but slower in another, and our overall laps times would show the same number. I want to see who is hustling their car the best around certain parts of the track, then ask them what they're doing differently.

I want to see who is hustling their car the best around certain parts of the track, then ask them what they're doing differently.

Just ask me Tim and I will tell you!

ps. I've always wanted to get about 5 Hot Lap transmitters and place them at various spots around the track at Willow so we could compare driving through various "sections" of the track. You could be faster at one section than me, but slower in another, and our overall laps times would show the same number. I want to see who is hustling their car the best around certain parts of the track, then ask them what they're doing differently.

Yep! Or better yet, if you've got a data acquisition system, just "offer" them a ride in your car! Download the data afterwards, and you will KNOW why they're faster just by comparing laps! LOL! That's what I love about my system; tracks RPM, speed, gear, lateral g's (I can compute longitudinal g's if desired from speed), and I will eventually be hooking it up to track yaw rate, long. g's, throttle and brake... or maybe steering... complete data recorder!

Hey Dylan, a lot of guys have raved about the Ultrashield padded harnesses that I have. Since their the first belts I've tried, I don't know the difference, but I can say that I never feel any discomfort from the straps. I've got the 3" camlock, pull-up 6pts . As my car "should be" and is "scheduled" to be done on Wed., I can drive by and you can check it out if you like. I'll be driving it on the street for a bit to test it out and break in the new rod bearings.

Try http://www.ultrashieldrace.com .

Steve

Also, if it turns out that I'm not off to the races on the 20-22 this month, you can go ahead and take my harnesses if you want to do some live testing. Even if I go, I have harnesses for 2 seats, so you might still be able to use one of them, 'cept it'll mean I can't get the input from the experts that I'll need to eventually beat you guys out there.

s

My harnesses are stamped Aug, so does that mean they are still ok for August? Not sure the POC checks the date or not? I should just order a set rather than get there and find out they do?

Alert! Newbie Question!!

"Race fans, I had inferred from my one trip to the Brickyard 400, fell into one of two categories: tattooed, shirtless, sewer-mouthed drunks, and their husbands."

-Steve Ruchin

LMAO!

SAfeQUIP does a reasonably priced 6pt camlock available in most colors and most configurations (pull up/down, euro stype etc.) they are SFI rated which only means 2 years, but they typically price under $150.

They also do a special HANS shoulder configuration that has a 3 inch belt wrapped over to 2 inches and with a rubber backing to prevent slippage. I use this setup my self and it works great.

Alex

King RAT Motorsports

[email protected]

540 955 9696