Discussing, requesting changes or complaining about HC rules

civicrr

I have started this thread because of the recent S2K shock thread on this forum. I would like to remind everyone that we, the administrators & region group leaders, have put forth a lot of time & effort to get to this point. Those before us have too. Please remember that if your posts aren't worded constructively, being human, we will probably get mad.

This was my response to the S2K thread. I started this one instead.

Jason,

I can honestly say that you have made some good points. As I am sure you know, I am a member of this forum & H-T.com. I have also read that thread.

There is a very real concern by those who make the rules about what has been called 'cost creep'. There is always a way to justify just a bit more modification/allowances in the engine, chassis, suspension or whatever. @ some point, a line must be drawn. Please remember that this was first & foremost concieved as a club racing series. Core values included no (or very little) contact, low cost, good competition & fun. Perhaps not as obvious is the fact that driver skill is valued over the driver's wallet.

The no rr shock rule made sense because 1. it mirrored other series which allowed cars to crossover & 2. seemed to keep cost down. I will concede that perhaps the rule should be modified. ie the language cleaned up. Mid-season isn't a time to change rules like this.

(added in edit: this is not meant as a personal attack on Jason. It is actually not even directed @ him.)

Nor, IMHO, is it the time to make allowances for individuals. Drivers & teams that have built their cars according to the rules, shouldn't have their seasons ruined by a few individuals trying to hold us (the series) hostage with threats of 'taking their ball & going home'. As the people responsible for the administration of this series, we must remember to protect those who have raced with us from the beginning while looking to those who would join us. I said join us, not the series join them. IMHO, there are series that have catered to a certain group/mfg/team, who have burned other racers. It is my job to not let that happen.

Ultimately, we will not be the series for everyone. I hope that we will be the series for most people.

Edited by Guest

Fair response, but I'm not asking for an allowance for simply myself - there are others who would like to see the same thing.

Additionally, I've pointed out a glaring oversight in the current rule... and unless I'm going crazy, it seems like most people aren't even considering this loophole. If the RR-shocks are not going to be allowed, I'd like to see the loophole closed, as currently one company's $6k high end shocks are allowed yet others aren't.

Inevitably, people will see my request/argument/position as purely out of self-motivation - and while I certainly have a stake in it, I also would like to see the series do well. If I'm going to be competing in it, I want it to be fair, popular, and competitive. I honestly think allowing canisters would keep things that way.

"Cost creep" is a straw-man in this case - anyone can spend whatever they want no matter what the rules say. How about I have a completely custom set of shocks made that are 22mm shaft, non-canister with fixed nitrogen pressure - yet are Motons inside? Then you've just DOUBLED what I would pay for the same technology, maybe worse. Then, you've essentially made it so that it takes $10k in shocks to compete. Why not allow $2800 remote canister shocks for everyone and then people won't go out and spend $10k to circumvent. Does that make sense?

Sometimes, I feel like I either am nuts or just have a hard time getting my point across - in any case, this will all work itself out in the end when someone shows up with something super-trick that circumvents the rule.

Also, being sure to clarify...

1. I didn't start the other thread

2. I'm not interested in a mid-season change, that's not good for anyone

3. I've written official requests/letters about this to both NASA and the SCCA

I'm just proliferating these discussions so that the rule either gets opened up or cleaned up for next season... I realize that now is the time to discuss next year, as people are no doubt already gearing up to prepare for next season.

Next season is the earliest that you'd see me compete, so that's why I'm soliciting for people's opinion at this time. I feel it important to expose all sides of the argument, which accounts for the length of my posts on the matter both here and on H-T.com.

Also, being sure to clarify...

1. I didn't start the other thread

2. I'm not interested in a mid-season change, that's not good for anyone

3. I've written official requests/letters about this to both NASA and the SCCA

I'm just proliferating these discussions so that the rule either gets opened up or cleaned up for next season... I realize that now is the time to discuss next year, as people are no doubt already gearing up to prepare for next season.

Next season is the earliest that you'd see me compete, so that's why I'm soliciting for people's opinion at this time. I feel it important to expose all sides of the argument, which accounts for the length of my posts on the matter both here and on H-T.com.

The last paragraph in my post was not directed towards you, Jason, though it reads that way. I apologize. The post morphed as I was typing it. That paragraph was meant to state my philosophy (sp) towards the series.

Please know that your letter has not been filed in the 'round cabinet'. The topic has been discussed - and tabled - for a later date.

We do value those who race with us. We welcome those who would like to. We do take request seriously.

Mike