Interestign find on a vendor visit: Windsheild material

Driver

Went on a work-related trip to a supplier, and saw in their inventory an interesting sheet of polycarbonate:

Lexan MR10 "Margard II" sheet, it's lexan with a silicone coating (can have both sides or just one). It gives you the properties of lexan whilst also being scratch resistant. The coating also serves as a UV protector, keeping it from yellowing. Get it from a legit supplier and it even comes with a 10 year warranty against scratching and yellowing.

Perfect for windshields. It doesn't "seem" to be a heck of allot more expensive than normal lexan, follow this link and there's a calculator at the bottom. You can't form it (drape moulding, heat brake, etc), as that would bugger up the coating. But you don't need any of that to make the simple curvature of a windsheild, Lexan is quite flexible.

*Fun side story; Flexibility. This company made and tested canopies for F16's way back when. During the chicken-gun tests, they were killing the dummies with blunt-force trauma to the head, yet the canopy looked undamaged. High-speed film showed the lexan canopy deflecting when the chicken hit it, so much that it whacked the pilot-dummies head, then it returned to shape.

What if I already had a lexan window and wanted to get this coating on it?

Fraid it's not going to happen.... unless you take it out, heat it untill its gooey, and apply the coating in hot liquid form.

Their definition of Speedglass is almost the same as the definition of the MR10, is it the same stuff? lol

What's the cost like on their products? The sticker thing is somewhat common; many of these 'indestructable materials' have they're own personal kryptonite. It can be int he formof common cleaners or, as you found, sticker adhesive. Always a good idea to check with the manufacturer.

Unfortunately I can't remember the cost. I do remember that it wasn't as much as the other stuff you mentioned though as I priced similar items when I did the project.

• 2 weeks later...

Percy's speedglass with shipping will cost you in the neighborhood of $500 depending on thickness. It is molded to shape and cut to size or 1" oversize.

Percy's stuff is pretty awesome. They have it at the PRI show every year with a brillo pad taped to a wiper and running all weekend. Pretty amazing stuff.