New to NASA HC, Q's on putting my car in a class...

ek_brandon

i have a 1997 civic dx hatchback. i rebuilt the d16y7 motor w/ srp pistons (to spec of stock pistons but over sized .040) I used eagle rods for strength. I installed all new bearings and balanced everything. I port matched and polished my head, and machined it a little to increase compression according to the rule book. coilover suspension, underdrive pulleys and a hondata computer are also installed. all of my saftey equipment is to NASA spec, as is my fuel delivery and electrical. and plenty of other things i cant think of...

because they never offered a SI or vtec in ek hatches, or even disc brakes or sporty options on the usdm ek, i would like to know if certain mods are legal to make in h5/h4 classes.

my questions are :

1- is the civic ek an H5 or H4 car w/stock specs?

(the rule book shows 97 dx hatch in h5 when classifying minimum weight)

2- are new rods, built to factory specs, but forged, allowed in h5/h4?

3- are the dx's able to compete w/ the CRX's in h4, because i never saw one at the track when i watched a race...

4- if you swap a vtec(d16y8) into a dx hatch, is it considered h1?

5- can you swap out your rear drums to disc brakes in h5/h4 even if it wasnt a trim option?

6- can you install swaybars, even if they werent a factory option?

i know many of these questions might seem easy to dismiss, but im a 20 year old building my own car and trying to get into club racing alone on a limited budget, so any direction in these q's are greatly appreciated. ive converted my daily driver to a track only car over the last year, and im now having doubts on whether ive built a class-competitive car. or even built it properly to class spec... if anyveterans or anyone that has a h5/h4 96-98 honda civic dx hatchback could give me some real help i would be very thankful. im looking forward to joing the HC westcoast for the 2005 season.

thanks

ps: i would have entered this post into a newby forum, but i coudlnt find one to associate it with. plus, if HC guys are as friendly as the guys that helped me get into autocrossing w/scca.... then this wont bother or offend anyone, and ill get tons of help. thanks again.

Welcome! This is Mike Lock from GOTO:Racing. It is always great to here about new peole entering the series. The best person to talk to about you engine questions is Mike Quan if you are going to run in nor cal, or I think Ryan if you are going to be in so cal. Good luck with your car, I hope to see you around.

Mike Lock

GOTO:Racing Fabrication LLC

#45 del sol si HC4

Brandon,

Let me try to answer some of your questions.

1. The '97 Civic DX should be a H5 car.

2. Only factory oem rods are allowed. They have to be from the exact model engine in H2-H5. H1 allows any oem Honda/Acura rod.

3. n/a

4. The 6th Gen Civic 'hatch would be a H1 car since the Y8 didn't come in the body style. (This is something that could possibly be changed in the future. Research would have be done & the rules committee would have to render an opinon/ruling.) The only body style that is suppose to use that engine would be the Coupe. The 6th Gen Civic EX is still 'unclassified' @ this point. It would be a H4 car.

5. Since it wasn't a trim option, the rear disc swap would not be legal.

6. Swaybars are open.

In addition, I should mention that the HC rules are specfic as to what can be done to the head in the regular classes. There isn't a whole you can legally do to it.

Are you in NorCal or SoCal? My life is really topsy-turvy right now but I will try to help you all I can.

Mike

first off, thanks for the fast replys.

secondly, im in sacramento.

thirdly:is race gas used, or just 91?

fourthly: are there many young people in the series racing? or is it all older men that race under sponcerships and such... because i would like to know if i am getting into something that is going to be to out of my realm (please tell me otherwise! ) i can afford tires and brakes and gas, and might even be able to get sponsored by a local tuner shop(and my family's auto repair shop), and i have access to a trailer and a truck... so let me know what you think. ive been planning this for a while and hope to get some track time soon and my license for racing...

brandon

oh yeah, is the h5 category growing at all, or is it all h4?

I use 91 in my H4 car. High octane is not necessary with near stock compression. In H1, with higher compression, race gas is more commnly used.

I would say most of the drivers are in the 25-45 age range in WCHC. Most are sponsored to a certain extent. It is fairly easy to obtain sponsorships that allow you to buy items at reduced prices.

You will need a decent amount of money to hit the track. You will spend around $500 just getting to the track, entry, hotel, gas, food) plus the cost of consumables like tires, fluids, pads. You just have to decide what your goals are. Getting on the track and having fun is a lot less expensive than competing for first place in class every event.

So I would spend the minimum amount on the car and its performance, and save that money to actually compete. You could also buy a finished car. I think there is a well sorted H5 CRX for sale in Norcal for less than 4k.

We are young people! GOTO:Racing driver ages...21, 24, 26, 28, 52 The 52 is our dad, but he cannot be classified as old or mature so he doesn't through off the average age too much.

Try to make you car legal for H4. that is where all the cars run in Nor cal. With you that will make 8 for next year...sweeeeet.

If you need any help with your car feel free to email us at [email protected], or our phone is 831 801 6803. We specialize in roll cages and other fabrication for IT style racecars.

Mike Lock

#45 del sol si HC4

#6 CRX si HC5 E3

everyone help petition the use of the y8 motor in the dx for h4 in 2005, and then ill run with those guys... besides my bitching... i do need some help with a cage because the local guy in the 530 area is busy for months.... where is the 831 anyways? santa cruz? anyways... i dont wanna buy another car because i already bought a new truck thinking i could use my EK to race .... and started to build it .... so let me know...

hey man i'm in the same position as you... i just picked up a eg shell last week... i'm only 19 and starting to build a EG to spec... i'll probably be out there with you guys in 05' though

To you two guys with the new civics:

This is Mike Lock from GOTO:Racing Fabrication. We would love to put cages in your cars. Our price right now for a NASA minimum cage is $1200 installed. That is for a custom welded in cage. We specialize in honda cages, nearly half of the nor cal H4 field planning to run in 2005 will be running a GOTO:Racing cage, and if you guys run one it will be over half. For Honda Challenge members we offer a free cage upgrade with your cage. (NASCAR door bars excluded for the free upgrade offer.) I know you guys aren't HC members yet, but I think we can work something out.

Check out our website, http://www.gotoracing.com/fabrication. We can have you on the track sooner and safer. We are about 2.5 hours from Sac, and about 2 hours from santa rosa. If you can't make it down to us we will consider a housecall for a fee. Call 831 801 6803 or email [email protected]. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Mike Lock

#45 del sol si H4

#6 CRX si H5 E3

PS For furth inquiries about cages, please either PM me or use the above contacts. I don't want to be slingin' our goods on NASA's forums, thanks.

i have another question for you mike, is qualifying generaly on a saturday and a race on sunday? and if you miss qualifying can you still race, and start in last position? thanks alot...

Each Day has its own Practice,Qualifying and Race. Unless noted in the Schedule.

i have another question for you mike, is qualifying generaly on a saturday and a race on sunday? and if you miss qualifying can you still race, and start in last position? thanks alot...

anyone here going to infineon on the 22nd? im trying to take my first hpde course... maybe someone can show me the ropes.... that is if i can get lucky on the waiting list, otherwise its willows' in september....

GOTO:Racing will be there. I need to get the new motor squared away on my 'sol and Brian will be running the WRX for the first time. My dad will also be there running the 'teg. Look for us if you make it. Our hondas are red white and black, and the WRX is Suburu blue. Look forward to meeting you.

Sorry, I didn't see your message until now. It was answered correctly already!

Unfortunately, I will be stuck working on the 22nd.

Definitely say Hi to the Locks. Great group of folks.

right on. another question.... does my carbon fiber hood need to be put back to stock for h4? i have a carbon hood and spoiler....

Build it to H4 or H5... use whatever brakes/trim/steering rack/gas tank/etc that was supposed to come with the car.

Much cheaper than H1.

Uh oh! I am building a 92 DX Hatchback into an Si for H4 competition. I have transfered over the brakes and am in the process of finding a decent D16Z6, gas tanks are the same....but steering rack?

Do I need to swap out the rack from an Si as well? I hope not!

wait, i thought you couldnt build a certain model of car out of another (ie: dx into si ect.) whats the real deal? doesnt putting a vtec engine into a cx or dx automatically make it an H1 car?

Technically you can do this, but you must transfer EVERYTHING from the SI to the DX/CX (the body is the same for each). When all is said and done, the car will end up no different than if it started life as an SI.

If the SI engines was installed in the DX with no other changes, it would be considered an H1 car.

I believe the orignal intent of the rule allowing this was to give someone who damaged their car beyond repair a less expensive way to build a new car by being able to buy a shell and transer existing parts to it. Although legal, I don't think it was intended for new construction.

BTW I think the SI and DX/CX have different gas tanks.

WE have just completed construction of a del sol for H4, and that car started life as a "s" model, but by virtue of the chassis swap rule, the car is now a "si". As long as all equipment you install was at one time available in a particular year, for that exact body, it is legal. What you cannot do is mix and match years. The car has to comply with original factory specs as a 93 del sol si in our case. Hope this helps...come see us at infinion on sunday and we can talk in person.

wait, i thought you couldnt build a certain model of car out of another (ie: dx into si ect.) whats the real deal? doesnt putting a vtec engine into a cx or dx automatically make it an H1 car?

Well, my problem was that I could not find any Si's in the midwest. The only one I found, the guy never answered any of my messages or phone calls and wanted about $1000 too much anyway.

So I found a clean DX for a great price and I'm just gathering Si parts to swap over. In the end, I won't have any advantage over any natural-born Si's in the field. For me, it was just the only option. Though I suppose I could race H5 for a while and then step up to H1 when I felt the time was right, I'd like to get into the competitive H4 class.

well, either way on sunday i'll see you guys at infineon, and ask a bunch more dumb questions so i dont have to keep writing them down... im just coming to check things out and get an undestanding of how everything goes, because i cant join the hpde because its already full, but i will be at infineon again the 12 of september for hpde...