Picking up Car Wed/Thurs...anyone know of a track day M-W?

Steve Rea

Finally, after touching almost every part of the car to make it as solid as possible, it looks like we'll be ready to roll this wed/thurs. I'll be driving it on the street throughout the week and weekend to break in the new rod bearings and to test the car in normal circumstances and a bit of canyon driving.

Does anyone know if there's an open track day next Mon, Tues or Wednesday?

Thanks and as I'm signed up for the Sept. Racing Clinic, I hope to be able to join you fellas after that.

Fingers crossed,

Steve

Yep, Please get a digital pic of the car and one of you(head and shoulders in your driving suit) to Joe Paluch for the website.

Thanks,

Tim

Well, as you all know, things get delayed...but hopefully I'll pick it up this evening, and find a place for an alignment over the weekend, so I can start putting miles on these new rod bearings.

Once I get it cleaned up, I'll take some pics, although there'll be nothing special about its looks for a little bit. Just another red spec 944...until it is proven to be running strongly, then it's time to have some fun with the appearance.

s

Good call Steve,

Right now if you have $500 to spend, spend it on making sure the car works or seat time. Facny Graphics and paint are really neat, but neat doesn't win races or even keep you running at events.

There will be time for nice paint and graphics!

Thanks Joe...a solid plan.

Well, after a few relatively minor glitches, the car's running real solid now, giving me a lot of relief. I'm crawling in it every day and taking it everywhere around town, and so far, so good. Thanks to Dylan for some tips on simplifying and shortening some of the interior clean-up time.

I'm hoping to get into the POC Laguna event this weekend as I'm on the wait list, but if not, I might just head out friday for a test and tune.

Come Sept 11-12, it's time to get race licensed then I'll see you fellas on the track.

Steve

If you don't make it into Laguna, you can come down to the Qualcomm stadium for a PCA autocross on Sat Aug 21. We should have at least 4 spec cars there. You should get about 8 practice runs, then 3 timed laps.

TC

Thanks Tim. Actually, now that you've set up an actual class for the PCA autocrosses, I would like to start doing them, however, on this Sat. I also have a local autocross practice I'm already signed up for. Hmm, I'll think about it, as I sure do enjoy some good competition.

See ya soon...somewhere.

s

Sorry I missed you guys in SD Tim, but Laguna Seca was great!

The track was really fun, as it was my first time there, as well as the car, thank God, ran strong and smooth. It took 3 full racing days with 4 run sessions each to test more of the limits of it's performance. After all, the first day and a half, my mind was more concerned about those tire walls so close to turn 9 . In the end, I was able to drop my time 21 seconds from the best time of the first session, to the best in the time trials.

I think Duane Dement had the top time of the weekend in a spec-944 at 1:51.xxx, with Dylan and Dennis Puddester following close at 1:52.xxx. By the time trials, I was down to 1:56.6xx, and Dennis got a 1:55.xxx (although I think maybe he was having sound problems and may have had to lift going into turn 5...don't know).

Dylan and Dennis had a very exciting fun race Sat., with Dylan struggling to get by for most of the race, only to get a bit lucky on the very last turn of the race. He said he was basically resolved to the fact he wasn't going to be able to get around Dennis before the checkered flag they would face, until Dennis went into turn 11 with 3 other cars. Somehow they got a bit tied up, leaving an opening for Dylan to get by and beat Dennis to the Checkered Flag on the very last straight. (at least that's how I remember Dylan's account )

So I had a blast, and really enjoyed cruising around with David Hirsch (2005 spec-944 in the works). It must be quite a challenge to pass in a race with these cars so similar, unless there's some driver error or traffic.

Well, that's the update...see you at Buttonwillow in Sept.

Steve

Yep it was a blast!! It's a great track and we all had fun hitting it up both on and off the track!! The parties after will go down in history and if you want some good stories ask the guys about Burnheim's ladies at this event. WOW is an understatement!!! If I was only born rich insted of good looking!! You can whatever you want but the man has a good eye!!

It must be quite a challenge to pass in a race with these cars so similar, unless there's some driver error or traffic.

Steve

Yep it is a challenge, but that is what makes it so much fun. You have to be on you toes and at you best each lap. You can't use HP to pass anyone so all you can do is to make a much speed through the corner as possible and not make any mistakes. The only way to pass down the straights is by a better run from the last corner. Or you can try to use traffic to you advantage. 10-15 races in spec car gets you more close racing action that 100 races in most classes.

It's a great track and we all had fun hitting it up both on and off the track!!

Yeah, someone was trying to show Eric a different line through turn 11, using the brail method. You know, the touchy feely way!

P.Bully.