DIY Track car paint job (success!)

PDenbigh

I painted my track car this weekend. I use a single stage paint and a decent primer. Me and a couple of buddies painted it in my single car garage and it turned out surprisingly well. Total cost including all supplies and the paint gun was under $400. This does NOT include all of the panelbond and bondo used for the other parts of the project (See my website for details). But, I can say I did it myself!

I thought I'd post some info for those of you considering the same.

Paint: 2nd from the cheapest single stage black

Primer: 2nd from the cheapest primer with very minor filling properties

Gun: Craftsman gravity feed HVLP

I set up two fans, one as an inlet fan, the other as an outlet. The inlet fan had two AC filters attached so it blew in somewhat clean air. Had I to do it over, I'd rent a booth. My garage will take a week or more to get back to its original condition. I forgot to put plastic on the floor and it's ruined until I repaint it.

The whole process including the final sanding of the car took 1.5 days. Day 1 was from 5:30am-8:30pm, Day 2 was from 8am-3pm. It was much more involved and much more messy than I had ever dreamed it would be.

I am super happy with the results though. I never thought my car would look good again.

Additional pictures and more description may be found on my website, here.

IMG_8271.JPG

Pete, car looks great! I jealous y'all got it done in a weekend... I've been working on getting mine painted for the last 4! I'm using single stage as well, got a marine polyurethane topcoat enamel made for offshore boats - about $70 a gallon, so pretty cheap. And it's supposed to be tough paint, we'll see... Problem is you have to let it dry at least 12 hours before you can recoat Built a paint booth in my garage, painted the inside and out the same color (can said "brilliant white" but its more ivory) for simplicity, with a single dark blue stripe and nose. Hope to wetsand tomorrow.... Then maybe I can start putting this thing back together...

I assume everything went OK with the trailer since I didn't hear otherwise?

ed

• 2 weeks later...