NASA Norcal schedule for 11-12 September

racercosmo

Looking at the schedule, I see warmup and qualifying on Saturday, but no race. There is a warmup, race #1 and race #2 on Sunday, but no qualifying. Is this correct, and how is the grid for Sunday's race #2 determined?

Folks-

Here's how we're going to do it. The Saturday practice will be a practice as usual, but the "qualifying" will be a "qualifying race" with starting positions for the "race" being inverted based on season points. This means the grid will be set with the AIX season points inverted (i.e. last place gets pole) and the AI season points inverted (same deal). The session will start as a race and go for the alloted time instead of being a straight-up qualifying session. This "race" will NOT be for points but will determine the starting order for Sunday's Race #1. So, Saturday's "qualifying race" winner will get pole for Sunday's Race #1 (straight up-no splits for AI/AIX). The grid for Race #2 will be set based on the results of Race #1, again straight up. I know this all sounds complicated, but it should be fun and it was the best solution we could come up with given the schedule constraints we're working under, so have faith.

-JWL

Folks-

This "race" will NOT be for points but will determine the starting order for Sunday's Race #1. So, Saturday's "qualifying race" winner will get pole for Sunday's Race #1 .

-JWL

Does the winner of the Saturday race get 4 points for a pole position?

Yeech. The idea of Sean on a pole makes me a little queasy.

Cos, that makes perfect sense and that's how we'll do it. AI and AIX "winners" in the qual race will get the pole points for Saturday.

-JWL

This soundslike a lot of fun, but the only problem I see is that some smartass could show up for the first time all season in a car that may not comply entirely with the rules, start dead last, smoke everyone and afterwards go tell the world how much better they/their equipment is than all the regulars who have worked hard all season just barely making it to the track in a running car let alone a properly setup (most of us could only dream of being able to dedicate a day to actual testing) car.

• Members
Folks-

Here's how we're going to do it. The Saturday practice will be a practice as usual, but the "qualifying" will be a "qualifying race" with starting positions for the "race" being inverted based on season points. This means the grid will be set with the AIX season points inverted (i.e. last place gets pole) and the AI season points inverted (same deal). The session will start as a race and go for the alloted time instead of being a straight-up qualifying session. This "race" will NOT be for points but will determine the starting order for Sunday's Race #1. So, Saturday's "qualifying race" winner will get pole for Sunday's Race #1 (straight up-no splits for AI/AIX). The grid for Race #2 will be set based on the results of Race #1, again straight up. I know this all sounds complicated, but it should be fun and it was the best solution we could come up with given the schedule constraints we're working under, so have faith.

-JWL

That's sounds awesome! We might have to do that for our next event at Roebling Road!

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed a sound limit (103 dBA) for this event on the registration page. What gives, how loud is this? I have no idea how loud my car is.

John

Sears Point has neighbors that happen to be wineries and whiners. Paul Mashouf's silver car was 101-102 with open exhaust and 92-94 with mufflers. I haven't had Keith's car checked at Sears, but it's probably the same or maybe a little quiter than Paul's. I don't think I've ever heard your car, is it about the same as Keith's? If your exhaust is not pointed to the right side of the car, you will probably be okay.

• Members

There is a sound limit at Roebling as well and the general rule of thumb is to have split exhaust with exits on both sides of the car and you'll be fine. I have run my old car there numerous times and it was loud as %#$&!!

John-

103 is pretty freaking loud (think RX7 with no exhaust) so I think you'll be OK.

V-

Some comedian could show up and do just that, but if they took their King of the Hill act to the Internet you know we'd all show up and clown them mercilessly so I don't think the effect would be pleasant.

Also, Tony G. from CMC has agreed to be your host for the weekend and all the AI folk are cordially invited to the CMC paddock, BBQ, and other activities. Tony also will be your advocate for anything that's up on the track, so head to him for help.

Have fun and be safe.

-JWL

does anyone know what db the ASC cars are at? A friend has taken out his ASC to sears twice this year and been flagged for being over sound. To me those cars don't sound all that loud. I posted on the ASC forum, but have no responses yet.

thanks,

-V

Does anyone know where they take the readings from? How far away from the cars, on the other side of the wall, no wall, pointing toward the cars, etc.?

I got my hands on a db meter and want to try and simulate the conditions and get a reading before i tow hundreds of miles.

Thanks

John

This was posted on another forum, maybe it helps.

"Just to give you guys a heads up about the sound game. I ran up there this last weekend and have read about and seen the new sound mike at Sears Point. It is placed on the straight away near start/finish on a pole. It is no longer on top of one of the pit walls. This makes it harder to direct sound away."

Yeah.. Sean on pole in AIX and me on pole in AI unless someone shows up with less points than me

Damn car's still 200ls heavy and 35 - 40Hp down.

Feh!

BTW - whos' doing testing on Friday?

- Nick