Brake System Fluid changeout

dbyrd45

I am in the process of upgrading my 95 Mustang to Cobra style brakes. I have a new master cylinder and new fluid as well. What is the best way to purge and refill the braking system. Can this be done with one person and some fancy vacumn or pressure gizmo that someone knows of? The car does have ABS if that makes a difference. David

It depends on the ABS system, but I have heard of a vacuum bleeder damaging an ABS system before. The old have a buddy sit in the car and pump the brakes is always your best bet.

Besides which a six pack is a whole lot cheaper than one of them fancy vacuum bleeders anyway.

you can do it by yourself with a mightyvac, but I have never had luck with those. I prefer the tried and true 2-person bleed. Another idea, since you already have air in the system, is to install some speedbleeders. They are caliper bleeder screws with a check valve that will let fluid out but not let air in. I picked some up a few weeks ago but havent intalled them yet so I dont have any input on how well they work.

Been using a Motiv bleeder for years. I've heard people say it's not good for ABS or at least doesn't cycle the ABS, but those folks are techs who are loosing money cause you are DIY. For complete changes, I bleed 4 oz out each corner.

you also need a special tool to bleed the abs pump on our cars. at least thats what the haynes says. i took my pump out so i cant say for sure.