Need help - R3 H&N d-rings on G-Force Pro Force 1 helmet

ianacole

I'm in the process of mounting the d-rings for my Hutchens R3 on my G-Force Pro Force 1 helmet. I've got all the measurements complete and am ready to drill the holes. However, where the holes are to be drilled the helmet has really firm, 1.5" thick foam glued to the inside that I can't pull up and get underneath to place the nut washers against the shell of the helmet. So, which is the best solution for mounting the d-rings:

1. Drill through the foam and mount the nut washers to the outside of the foam (between my head and the foam). To me this seams the least desireable option.

2. Move the d-rings about .75" forward to an area where I can move the jaw padding enough to get to the shell. This is right up there with the #1 least desireable option.

3. Make a hole through the foam large enough to fit the nut washer so it will sit against the shell.

4. Pull up the foam...the sticky stuff on the other side will continue to keep it in place once I put it back together.

5. Try to create a small pocket (dig out) between the shell and the foam where I can insert the nut washer.

6. Something completely different that I haven't thought of yet.

So, anyone with this model of helmet install d-rings yet?

Thanks!!

If you only need to go under the impact liner a little, just pry it up enough to slip the nutwasher between the liner and shell. It is somewhat flexible and you can work with it. Don't pry it up too much or you will crack it. You just need enough clearance to get the nutwasher between the liner and shell.

Moving the ring position could work also. I don't have the R3 instructions in front of me but there should be enough adjustment in the tether system to let them out the same distance so you don't lose too much visibility.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

Thanks Howard. I was worried about prying it up not knowing how it was secured. I'll will give it a try tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

After I drilled the hole, careful not to go all the way through the foam padding, I used a flat head screwdriver coming in through the viewport to pry/compress the foam just a little bit. I then, using the flat head again, pushed the washer into the space I had just created. I made a small enough space that I had to use force to get the washer in, to make sure it was snug. Then I just worked the washer with a poker to line it up with the hole I drilled.

If this didn't make sense, I'm not sure it did, let me know and I'll PM you my number so I can explain it in greater detail.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem a couple years ago when i got my Dcel. The only solution I found that wouldnt destroy the liner or anything else, was using steel pop rivet nuts.

Another issue I had was the proper location for the front of the tether was right in the middle of the air hose port on the left side.