Grattan

mikew968

Anybody have any special Grattan experiences? All I can say is that is the most wide carnival ride I have ever been on. It was some very close racing but for most of us incident free. Sunday was really a lot of fun around turn 1 when you would hit the water and the car would get loose and then straighten back up.

Saturday night in the yeoldtrailer.com was exciting about 1:30 as i looked out and there was about 3" of standing water. By the time I got my generator in I was soaked. The funny thing was by 8am the water was done except for turn 1!!!!

Mike

I thought Grattan to be an interesting challenge. I doubt that I would return. #3 thru #9 or so seemed like a wicked fast Autocross! From (and I mean just past) the hairpin through turn #2 was my favorite part of the track. I got quicker as the weekend went on, but really, the only times I smiled was when I nailed the sector leading up to the front straight, that big bounce at the apex under full tilt was pretty fun, however, the "jump" was never fun, neither the toilet bowl.

Mike,

Your thoughts on GTS comaraderie up to this point got me to thinking about it a lot. My conclusion came to this. The best is yet to come! April, Mid Ohio, always cold, wet or snowing... nobody gets together under these conditions, we just get through it. Putnam next, well hell, the 6PM exit from the track kills any chance there. Grattan did not have our regular cast of characters, but Matt tried to pull it together. It will be better this summer at MO, you watch. I personally may be tied up with some sponsor hospitality for the regional runs, but that would be in the afternoon. Late get togethers after the awards will still be our best bet. Just takes a bit of planning.

Might i suggest that we claim the space that we use at the Championships for the GTS paddock area. It's nearly impossible to get a large area together on the pavement, but we can claim one of the flat areas in the grass where we set up last September.

I had an awesome time at Grattan! It was my first race NASA race weekend since taking Comp School in April. I found all the GTS guys to be great, and very helpful. And YES, I love the jump - its the best part of the track!

Here is a link to my in-car video from Sunday:

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll make it to Mid-Ohio next month.

Mark

I really dislike driving thru all the stones and gravel to get there. Is there somebody that could lay claim to a large area on pavement early enough? We had the area closest to track in the middle paddock last year and that worked great. I will be there Friday late afternoon or early evening but that most likely will not be soon enough. As a second choice is the upper paddock open as that would work as well.

Mike