Bilstein dampening differences.... HD + Sport

Spruill242

Checking out the bilstein website they say the HD's are an upgraded from OEM type shock and the Sports are better suited to complement suspension upgrades but do fine for a stiffer stock setup....However with more reading on forums throughtout the intra-web some people tend to think the sports are no differently valved than the HD's, they just have a shorter strut for a car with lowering coils. I'm just so confused........

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Companies are in the buisness of doing buisness, if they can make a slight change to a product and sell it in a different package for more money, why wouldn't they?

Anyone have a dynamometer to test these out?

I understand that logic totaly. I'm just trying to figure out it what way they differ. In most cases the Bilstein sports are 20-25$ more than the HD's, however I've also found a few parts companies online that sell both for the same price (pertaining to a corvette).

So if theres, on average, a price difference in the two, they must have differences (I would hope). If the rumor is correct that the Bilstein sports are an inch shorter to better suit being used with sport springs- and I would assume that sport springs USUALLY have a 25-35% higher spring rate than their OEM counter part- I should be able to continue that logic and assume that the Bilstein sports are valved a little stiffer to compliment a stiffer spring..... or is this just WAY out in left field..

It really depends on the car model. For some, Bilstein outright says it's the same shock with a different length for lowered cars. For others, the shock is completely different.

• 2 weeks later...

I also believe it to be different per car make/model. For instance the Sports for an E36 BMW M3 are stiffer - but not shorter - than the HD's, as far as I know.