Lightweight batteries for Ford 5.0 EFI?

Driver

Well, my Red Top nearly exploded today, that was fun.

I'm looking into lightweight batteries, but I don't know how many amps I need. It's a car with an engine, headlights and brake lights, but not much else.

What brought up the question was this:

147-B14115.jpg

Weighs as low as 11.5lb. I've heard good things about oddesy, but it wouldn't be a weight savings over the optima.

If I were to beleive their site, the small model should be enough to turn the 5.0 over, but it never hurts to check. I'm trying to find out how many cranking amps I'm going to be needing.

I know people who use the PC545 and PC680 Odyssey for V8 racecars. A 928 gets 3-5 start attempts out of them, so they aren't for cars that have starting issues. They weigh a lot less than an Optima and cost a lot less than the Braille.

Odyssey PC680. I've had mine for 3 years, first with a 9:1 350 and now a 10:1 305. I do have a factory gear reduction starter, which makes a lot of difference. It doesn't seem to heat soak like a stocker.

I didn't get the metal jacket, high vibration type either, just the standard one. Mounted in the car to reduce the amount of heat it sees.

Batteries Plus carries them. Mine was about $115, 3 years ago. Much better then the "race" batteries that seem to be almost identical for twice or three times the price...

Would batteries plus stoick them? Theres a retail joint 4mi away.

You're posting that may have helped my descision, though possibly not in the way of a PC680. You say yours was sufficient to run those engines, meaning it's likely good for my application. Compared to the Braille B14115, though, it seems to have less power. Meaning, the Braille gives me a bigger margin and is 4lb lighter. It seems to be about $30 more, but I can pick it up straight from a Jegs shop and pay no shipping or handling (their "free shipping" costs $22).

Braille B14115:

Cranking Amps: 486

Cold Cranking Amps: 360

11.5lb

Odessy PC680:

Cranking Amps: 370

Cold Cranking Amps: 265

15lb

I've heard that the Odyssey weighs a pound or two less than its spec weight. I have seen them online for under $90, but I don't remember where. On a 3000lb+ Mustang, what you ate for lunch is going is going to matter more than a couple pounds of battery weight.

I've used the PC680MJ in my car for years, and in all our Grand-Am Cup cars (about 8 of them) without issue. They're great batteries. Just buy a good charger, and pay attention to their "care and feeding" in the instructions. You can kill them quickly if you abuse them.

I called the local Batteries Plus, they said they (and presumably no one) can get ahold of a PC680, it's a hot item, soo... I took the plunge and installed the B2015 Braille yesterday. Its the size of two VHS cassets taped together and started the iron hunk without the slightest hesitation (also impressive, considering the ineficiency of my ancient wiring/electrical system).

If any thing is ever amiss with the battery, I'll revive the thread and post it. If the thread dies, that gives the battery a good review.