R3 - Head and neck restraint - Who's using it ? Evaluations

D Algozine

Looking for first hand experience with the R3. Specifically comments on how it feels when your strapped in and most importantly what is the side to side movement?

Thanks,

Dave

Looking for first hand experience with the R3. Specifically comments on how it feels when your strapped in and most importantly what is the side to side movement?

Thanks,

Dave

I just bought one to evaluate as I found the HANS too uncomfortable (I have prominent clavicles that got pinched). I fitted it in both my MR2 ITA car and my F2000 formula car. Its actually very comfortable with no side to side rocking, expecially in the more upright Kirkey seat of the MR2. I was very impressed with the workmanship and solid "feel" of the unit.

Unfortunately, it moved me forward too much in the formula car, just enough so that my helmet no longer was beneath the plane between the front and main roll hoops. So I won't be able to use it.

Anyone want a very, very slightly used R3? Pics at http://www.gis.net/~robzatz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, when I refer to side to side movement, I'm interested in how much it restricts your side movement. The Hans has new sliding straps that allows greater head movement. I'm wondering if the R3 is very restrictive or if it allows some side movement, and how much.

Thanks

Dave

Sorry, misunderstood!

Afraid I can't answer that one as I didn't want to install the clips in my helmet while doing the trial fitting.

It seemed as if there would be more side to side movement that the HANS I tried, but not as much as with their new tether.

I have the in-car setup. Side to side movement is a little restrictive but only noticeable in very tight turns or rolling through the paddock. I've also found that the hooks have a tendency to twist and bind up before they reach full extension. Could be user error though... I've only had it for 4 race weekends. Otherwise, I like the setup and being able to get in/out of the car without wearing it.

I risk saying something that will make the R3 users out there upset but here goes. You take the information or leave it. First, let me say the R3 is not a bad device. It actually performs pretty well, within a few percentage points of the HANS Device. Second, I have not used an R3 or Hybrid in competition. I've only put it on for visibility tests when we developed the sliding tether. The D-rings were installed in a fresh helmet and the devices were fitted per manufacturers instructions. Some racers say the R3/Hybrid is comfortable. It may very well be. The HD does not fit 100% of the population. I will say that a good number of the racers I talk to, that use the R3, are not wearing it properly. The chest strap has to be worn pretty tight. The looser it is, the less efficient the device is. The Hybrid is a little different. Also, with the tethers installed per manufacturers instructions, the R3 only gives you 20-23 degrees of side visibility or 40-46 total. The Hybrid is better at a little less total visibility than the HD. The special padding that comes with the R3/Hybrid does change your seating geometry a little. Some don't mind, others have gone back to the HD after trying the R3/Hybrid. The HD with standard fixed length tethers is just a little better than the Hybrid with about 90 degrees of total visibility (Hybrid is just a couple of degrees less). Remember, everything per manufacturers instructions. The sliding tethers is the hands-down winner in visibillity.

There you go if that helps.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

• 3 weeks later...

Update

I used my R3 for the first time this past weekend. Still working on tweeking the whole strapping in process, but overall I was pleased.

The side to side helmet movement was fine. No problems with vision

A little work to get my shoulder straps over the top of the R3, but I was getting better as the weekend progressed. I think the option of leaving the R3 in the car may be the best way to go, then you just have the helmet straps to contend with.

The piece down the back was a little uncomfortable. I need to continue to adjust the pad to get it just right. My seat has a thick fabric seam that runs perpendicular to the middle of the back piece of the R3.

Pretty easy to get in and out with everything attached.

edit to clarify "Helmet" movement

Edited by Guest

I too used mine for the first time this past weekend, and once we got it adjusted for my driving position in the car, was very please with it. With the pad in the seat, then the R3 in the pad, it seemed to even further reduce the little side to side motion I had in the seat. I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing this H&NR device.