removable petty bar

jungle

My new to me race car came w/ a petty bar (a bar extending from the passenger side foot well up to the halo behind the driver). While I like the idea of it, I would like to make it removable for taking passengers (I am still in TT, so taking the g/f and students) still occurs. I need to know how much bar to leave still attached to the cage, and when I sleeve it how much sleeve do i need? I don't recall seeing any specifics in either the GCR or CCR. I am thinking to go 2" on each side and two bolts on each side.

I can post pics later.

thanks...

well, since nobody else is gonna help.......

The removable petty bars I have seen are usually cut within about 2 inches of the top and bottom. An interference fit (slides in tight) short length of tube is used to join the bar with appropriate strength fasteners used to hold the bar in place.

If I can find you a picture I will post the link here.

Be careful, where the top of your bar mounts to your main hoop is within the helmet impact zone, so driving with the bar and padding out would not be good.

Make sure the "stub" is padded when the bar is not in use.

Thanks for the replys guys....

I like that flanged idea....i was thinking of sleeving/couplering it.....I will go w/ 2" then....

thanks...