Mounting a carbon fiber wing

Mike Simard

I have a wing to mount. Carbon fiber is new to me, any tips or recommended reading would be appreciated.

The wing has brackets that look to be riveted. Those brackets need to move so my big question is how to attatch brackets to the wing. Is it typical to drill and rivet into the carbon fiber or does some kind of reinforcement have to have been formed in the area to be riveted? Is there a certain epoxy to use?

When they made the wing there should have been a aluminum strip/nuts expoxyd and layered over inside the wing. Then you usually cut the material so to expose the threaded nut on the inside of the wing. That way your mount is pretty much part of the wing and secured by the layers of fiberglass/carbon fiber. If thats not the case... that sucks.

Best bet would be cut two slits in the bottom of the wind and insert a 1x3 or so strip of 1/8th aluminum. make sure to have some holes drilled in both the wing and strip.. carefully and painstakingly align and rivet to that strip in there. I dont see securing to just the fiber/carbon a good idea at all. Id have something on the other side to rivet to and pinch the wing between. thats just me