2 way or 1.5 way lsd differential for road racing?

neukin

2 way or 1.5 way lsd differential for road racing?

Just thought the 2way might cause some issues with control around the corners or as your downshifting in the brake zone getting ready to turn in...

Id opt for the 1.5 way diff but installed is a 2way so i wanted to know what you guys thought.. i think i can get the pressure rings and make our kaaz 2way a 1.5way by taking the diff apart if you think we should stick to a 1.5

thanks

well... i thought id get some answers here but nothing... i did manage o get a pro to say this.

As far as 1.5 or 2 way, it is really up to the driver and the track you guys race on. Most high speed track should be OK with 2 way. 2 way gives better braking stability so you can go deep into the turns and just flip the car to exit out of the turn. 2 way is good for high speed tracks with minimal small tight turns. If the track consists of many tight turns, then 1.5 way should work better.

I'd love to share my thoughts on LSDs and how they affect handling but I don't understand the "x-way" terminology, could you explain?

1.5way are built so when you accel the rods on the pinion cross shaft in the center of the diff pushes the two halves (pressure rings) of the lsd outward so the clutches lockup

in a 2way the rods on the pinion cross shaft push the pressure rings outward in both accel and decel locking the clutches up in both cases

The Kaaz is a mechanical lsd or multi plate lsd as they call them.

Here is a great vid that shows what im talking about

OK, it's the lockup varition between accel and decel. I wish the world would standardize terms for that.

Anyway, I do have opinions on this from experience. IMO any real locking under decel is just bad. It causes push that varies with the engine load and creates unpredictable behavior that can take away confidence.

Aside from your reason of helping rear wheel braking, there are other reasons for locking under decel mentioned out there but some sound wacky and not based on experience.

One factor that affects decel lockup is the engine itself. If you have a honkin' displacement engine and phat tires, you have a recipe for saying WTF as you enter a tight turn and start plowing away. That same turn behavior would be totally different if you went into it in a taller gear.