Passenger back brace needed?

Cheap_Thrills

From what I understand the back brace is meant to keep the seat from collapsing under the horizontal cage bar behind the seat.

The passenger side of my cage has a horizontal and a diagonal bar behind the seat so if it did break loose in a rear impact, it could only move 2 inches before hitting the cage and there's no way it could fold anywhere. A brace seems like overkill to me, unless I'm missing something on the intent of the brace.

Anyone know if I'd need a brace for this setup? I'll try to post some pics.

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii151/DUVAGA/spec%20build/

Most (all?) aluminum seats are intended to be used with a brace. I don't know if it is required for a passenger since you're not racing, but I would do it anyway.

If it was an out of date FIA shell (not intended to use a brace, but one is required after 5 years) I would not worry about it.

forgot, it's only being used for HPDE if that matters.

When ya go bacwards into a hard barrier, it matters.

Despite interpretation of the written word, I would highly advise using a back brace. When it comes to safety equipment; "If you have to ask, the answer is yes."

The back brace stabilizes the seat in all directions during an impact, it doesn't just keep it from folding under the horizontal bar. "If the seat breaks loose..." your passenger will suffer severe, possibly disfuguring and life threatenting injuries, regardless of the bar configuration. The seat won't break loose if you're properly using a back brace.

That's me $.02.

I guess I need to stop saying "Why?" and just follow the spirit of the rule. Reading posts that the intention of the brace was for rear impact support made me think it was redundant in my case.

Now that I have tracked it without a brace, I see why one is needed. The upright part of the thin seat flexes alot, even just under cornering g's. It might be legal without it, but I'll be adding one.