Rule 15.5.15 of CCR

vcavallaro

Question: Is MIG welding allowed? Define possible.

15.5.15 Welds

All welding must be of the highest quality with full penetration and shall conform to the American Welding Society D1.1, 1994 Edition, Structural Welding Code, Chapter 10, Tubular Structures and Standards for the material used. Arc welding should be used whenever possible. It is strongly recommended that the welder inspect all welds using Magnaflux™, x-ray, or other effective methods. All tubes must be welded 360-degrees around the circumference of the tube.

MIG welding is allowed and probably the most preferable method. TIG is another option, but involves a lot more time and better tube fitment. I would simply make sure whoever does the welding is good at both the welding and the fitment. That being said I have seen some not so great welds/fitment pass and they are probably ok, but I would never pass my own work unless it is damn near perfect.

One thing to look out for is to make sure to try and place any tubes near the driver as far away from them as possible. Especially the head area. In the process of getting tubes to fit good oftentimes they need to be rotated or otherwise moved slightly and that can sometimes make the placement of certain cage tubes to be closer to the driver than originally planned. It just becomes scary thinking about how much it would hurt, or otherwise, if you hit one in an accident. Also, make sure there is room for easy and quick escape if one needs to get out of the car in a hurry. Really well built cages can take a lot of time and as a result money, but safety is really not something that should be skimped on.

MIG weld away!

-V