Racing Seats

Lucid Moments

I have OMP Extra seats in my car with 5 point harness. (yes I am a big guy) My question is where is the advantage in going to a 6 or 7 point harness?

Just thinking about future safety upgrades. My next upgrade will probably be some sort of HANS device or a fire system, but after those two for HPDE is there any point in upgrading the harness I am running? Obviously keeping it in date is good but other than that?

A 6 or 7 point belt system just has more strength by spreading the G loads over more belts..2 or 3 belts in the bottom is better than one belt..

Note if you do upgrade belts...get a HANS friendly belt system....

• 3 weeks later...

A 6 or 7 point harness does a better job of capturing the lower part of the body allowing the shoulder straps to capture the upper torso more efficiently. Most the racing experts, like John Melvin, recommend the 6 or 7 point harness over a 5 point harness.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

Note if you do upgrade belts...get a HANS friendly belt system....
Why spend more money for something that even HANS does not recommend and prevents you from ever driving without a HANS? He doesn't even own a HANS yet.

In addition to what Howard said, 6 and 7 point are more 'man parts' friendly.

Lucid Moments said:

"Just thinking about future safety upgrades"

I'm just suggesting thing he might consider HANS for the future...that's all.

IMHO: A head and neck saftey device from some vendor should be in everybody's future plans....

Some sanctioning bodies do not allow you to use Hans specific harnesses if you don't have a Hans, so get the Hans first - if Hans is the H&N restraint of your choice.

I had a customer purchase the Hans harnesses prior to getting a Hans (I assumed he already had the device) and PCA Tech would not let him go out for a driver ed. He ended up swapping shoulder belts with an instructor there to pass tech.

Suggestion on harnesses - Schroth makes a 2" lap belt on their Profi II harness. The 2" lap belt lies flatter over the pelvic area and users can tighten the lap belts much more than the traditional 3" lap belt. Schroth competition belts are FIA approved (good for 5 years) where some other belts are only SFI approved (good for 2 years). However, always replace your belts sooner if they show signs of fraying, stretching, you are involved in an accident, etc.

Some sort of Head and Neck restraint is the next upgrade I plan on going with. Not sure exactly when, and I haven't done enough research to determine exactly which one yet, but the comments about a HANS compatable harness make me ask this question.

I do not have a tow vehicle. I drive my car to and from the track with the 5 point on correctly. Not the most comfortable situation but not too bad really. But if a HANS compatable harness isn't safe to wear without the HANS device that will be something I definitely need to consider. Because I certaintly won't wear a HANS device and a helmet on a 4 - 6 hour drive to and from the track.

Keep in mind that most race harnesses are not DOT legal.

FWIW, My SFI harnesses expire this year and the Schroth Profi mentioned by Apex Performance is at the top of my list for the replacement. I have a HANS and have no plans of ever buying a HANS-specific harness. There are just too many problems with them and no proven safety benefit.

Keep in mind that most race harnesses are not DOT legal.

FWIW, My SFI harnesses expire this year and the Schroth Profi mentioned by Apex Performance is at the top of my list for the replacement. I have a HANS and have no plans of ever buying a HANS-specific harness. There are just too many problems with them and no proven safety benefit.

I understand the risk I am taking wearing the harness on the street, but I think it is an acceptable risk. Even though they are not DOT legal you would have a hard time convincing me they are not safer than a standard 3 point belt if worn correctly. And I've been pulled over twice while wearing the harness. Once for 41 in a 30 on Deals Gap in Tn. and once just north of Dublin Ga. on I16 on the way home from Roebling Road for "Following too closely". Both police IMHO were more interested in revenue than safety, but neither even said anything about the harness.

More importantly though is you are saying you can wear a HANS device with a harness that is not specifically designed with that device in mind?

The HANS device was designed to be used with 3" harnesses. I have not seen any published data to show that a 2" harness is any help and HANS continues to recommend 3" harnesses. The 3"/2" harnesses are just a marketing gimmick.