Roll Cage Information

SoulBlade85

New to NASA and the boards, though I have been following racing and involved in various motorsports for some time. Was hoping to get some clarification regarding roll cages for HPDE and TT. Specifically regarding the mounting plates to the floor; I have seen some vehicles build an elevated platform out of plate metal to effectively raise the floor up to the bottom of the cage. Is this legal, or do I have to have one solid plate mounted directly to the floor? The rulebook states that plates may be multi-angled and extend onto vertical surfaces, so I was not sure in that regard. Also, for the cross bar that attaches the two forward bars at the top of the a-pillar, the rules do not specify if this piece is required to be straight or if it can have some bend for clearance. I'm worried about contact, heaven forbid my harness fails. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have seen some vehicles build an elevated platform out of plate metal to effectively raise the floor up to the bottom of the cage. Is this legal, or do I have to have one solid plate mounted directly to the floor?
The cars I have seen built like this seem to be Mustangs, and look very well executed. Find the NASA tech folks for you region and verify for your application.

Also, for the cross bar that attaches the two forward bars at the top of the a-pillar, the rules do not specify if this piece is required to be straight or if it can have some bend for clearance.
Mine has two bends to get it closer to the roof line, bu you an also use a "halo hoop".

How many times have you read through these? Never hurts to do it again.

Again, take the time to contact the tech folks and class directors in your region; great people who enjoy helping to get new people safely on track.

Thanks for the information. I will get in touch with the regional tech folks and run it by them to make sure.

And I can't count the number of times I've looked through the CCR to make sure everything was to spec.

Again, I appreciate the information.

...Was hoping to get some clarification regarding roll cages for HPDE and TT....

Just to make sure... you do know that roll cages are not required for HPDE or TT, right?

Patrick

• 1 month later...

if you can land the cage on the rocker ..if the rocker isnt wide enough for the bar you can build a box to extend it to make it a little wider say 2 inches then go down the rocker to the floor and make fill in plates for the side i use 1/8 plat to do so ....if you land on the floor i like to plate up the rocker and weld the tube to that plate extending up the rocker as well... the floor is just stitch welded sheetmetal and is kind of flimsy i can see it ripping out or at least pushing down in a crash

Mounting to rocker structures can be superior to a flimsy floor, not only stronger but it puts the cage further outward too. Some creativity is required and expect that part of the cage to be one to spend some quality time on fitting shaped parts.

I have a car with a roundish rocker channel so I wrapped a 1/8" 3x4" plate onto it that the bar then mounts to. Spreading that mounting over a larger area is good.

One reason you may have seen elevated platforms is for the cage builder to be able to weld all around the tubing near the roof and then lift the whole thing up and mount to the floor. Getting the cage as close to the roof as possible (with full welds) is the holy grail of cage building!

building up a "plinth" structure to mount to is legal as long as you stay under the total square inches rule.

I've never heard any restriction on making bends to the bar at the top of the windshield.

cheers,

bruce