Is VVC dead?

Bugeater

No.. It's not dead. I have been to all of the races this year except last weekend which I was at Mid-Ohio getting some practice. I run in the V1 class.

There haven't been many cars at all in this class. The most in V1 was 3 at midohio and two of them were SCCA T1 cars that were getting practice for the runoffs. I was trying to keep up with the T1 guys but with ABS problems all weekend it was a losing battle. I had a bad rear wheel bearing that the abs sensor did not work so the abs was disabled. Oh well next time I'll show em.

I am sure that there will be more cars in VVC next year. All of the current T1 cars are not going to be competitive in T1 because of the C6 coming out and the 500 HP C6 Z06 coming the year after. Most of the current C5 based T1 cars will be sold so the owners can buy C6's and the existing cars will need a place to race. NASA VVC is the place! Next year will be the start of a good thing for VVC. Just watch and see.

I race in the SCCA T1 class. I justed joined NASA and did my first race with them at Road Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. The event was great and was organized & run really well. Only problem was>>>no other vettes or vipers for the first race. So I ran SU. I was late to the grid and started from the back. Ran thru the field and won the race. Now that was fun! The second race a viper competiton coupe shows up. No way a stock T1 vette can compete w/ that!!! He won, I came in 2nd.

I really hope this class takes off. I was envious of the mustang guys. They had lots of cars show up and had a great race between them. The corvette is such a "natural" race car, I'm really suprised there weren't more cars.

I was planning to run VVC this year, but came to the conclusion that there would be zero cars to run against. Luckily there is ITE in the northeast region of SCCA. My last race (Summit Point) there were 19 cars in my class, and a prior race (VIR) there were 10. I really want to run NASA, as my experience playing around in HPDE4 was a well-run event. NASA may have had starting pains in 2000, but the ship was straight in 2004! Very safe, fun, and the class time had real value. Really hope that VVC becomes half as big/popular/competitive as american iron.

I will probably have to run VV2 or VVX, based on power/weight.

Thanks for the replies people. Hoping for the best next year.

Bug..

if you are running ITE (that's like our SPO) you must have a prepared vette. In our SPO class a prepared vette can't come near the top SPO cars..they give the top GT1 cars a good race. How does the car do in your ITE?? In NASA your car should be competitive in SU until the VVC picks up. My stock Z06 was only 1.5 seconds off the fastest time turned out by the Comp Coupe and was faster then everything else...so your car should do even better.

Don't get me wrong, I like the SCCA...as a matter of fact I'm leaving for the run-off's on saturday where there will be 31 T1 cars. But NASA was a whole different experience. More laid back, more track time, 2 races in a weekend....just a whole lot of fun. When they put up the 2005 SE schedule bring that ITE car down and we'll do some racing

Bob,

I run a Viper prepared for the GT-1 class in the Viper Racing League. (VRL) It does pretty good in ITE...my home track is VIR. My car weighs about the same as your stock Z06, which says alot about your cars potential! I love the Z06, as that was the car I earned my competition license in.

Yeah I agree on the track time and laid back part. What I liked about NASA is that I observed that "laid back" and safe are not mutually exclusive. Makes the weekend more enjoyable.

I think the vette is pretty heavy for the HP. 3100lbs vs 405crank hp/370 rear wheel. But it sure is alot of car for the money. With the C6 coming out, it will make the C5 obsolete, so I've been considering turning it into an SPO car. You know drop the weight to 2800, bump the engine to 500+HP, wind, splitter>>>>>something like a Speed WC car.

Anyway..between you and me we have the makings of a start of VVC. VIR and Road Atlanta are only 5 hrs apart...I may come up for a NASA race there next year.

I raced last year with VRL members Jeff Snell & Jesse Reed. Reed was a real good shoe..we had some good races

Bob,

Know Jeff and Jesse pretty well...I lived in Raleigh for 4 years and they didnt help the track bug one bit ...They both are getting away from touring cars and I think both now are running formula fords or a similar open wheel config. Jeff sold his T1 car this spring, and when I talked to him in July Jesse's viper was soon to go.