Mid Ohio vs. Hurricane Ike

bmw22

It sure did! Just before the last race of the day the winds started to pick up with gusts up to 40 mph or so. Victory circle and the trophy girls were nearly blown across the track when the "Victory Square" banner zip ties let go and the easy up nearly took off. The large party tent in the infield paddock came down completely and all the port-a-johns over there fell over, doors down. Maintenance came out to check and make sure no one was trapped. At the conclusion of the last race, as soon as the lead car hit pit road, the power went out. Winds picked up to 60-75mph and blew stuff all over the place. Most if not all of the port-a-johns at the track went down and some were sliding across the lower paddock area. (Still no one in them!) The trash cans had nearly all turned over and were bouncing off various cars in the paddock. The second victory circle became unsafe and nearly took out the trophy girls again! They moved it again and all drivers who were brave enough to stay and had results received their awards! Although it would have been great for it to have waited another 30min to an hour, all in all the timing wasn't horrific. At least all races were completed and cars were safely off track! We had enough trouble on Start waving flags before the "big" wind started. Couldn't imagine trying to do it in that wind! Trees were down on Steam Corners Rd necessitating an exit to the right instead of the left. Power was out in many areas. Fortunately there was no rain along with the wind. At least not until the evening time, if at all. It was quite an experience!

In the last race the wind was moving the car around in turn 1...not exactly a great place for extra "help"!! As soon as you turned past 1 you were full into the wind and that was noticable as well. Some how the wind down the back stretch didn't seem to make much difference.

Berkowitz and I were the last troops out of the lower paddock (funny how that always seems to be the case for us old farts; fast on track, slow about everything else). Anyway the winds got worse. There was a lone port-a-john which blew it's way just south of garage 14 and with one large wind gust it started a run towards the bathrooms just as I was walking back to my trailer. I had my hat down over my eyes to shied them from all the junk in the air but fortunately heard the pooper sliding towards me and was able to jump out of it's way before getting flushed. Crap, can you imagine telling my wife that I was taken out on a race weekend by a toilet?

-Sean T