Ok im new, i have a car and little money, I need help.......

Sbeing

Ok, i have a 1995 Chrysler Sebring (w/ a 2002 3.0 Eclipse Engine Swap, its auto but im coverting it to manual soon), i really want to race this car but i dont know what type of racing bracket im under with this car. Also i have little money and i want to race in competitions. I hope to race professionally for a living in the future but i dont know where to start. Im 16 and i just love cars and racing, so if anyone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated because i have no idea what to do first, so if you could tell me in steps it would be aswome. Thanks.

PS- I also have a mini thats right hand drive and 4 speed manual that i would like to race, what racing bracket would that be in??

-Shane

I'd suggect you consider something other than the Chrysler. If it were me, I'd learn with the Mini running in HPDE for a couple of years. Maybe run HPDE Time Trials, then move to something like AI/AIX with a Fox Body Mustang or something simular.

well, i really wanna race the chrysler too, what could i race it in?? also how do i start racing?

I don't really see the Sebring being a very competitive car, but that's ok. You have to learn with something, might as well learn with something you already own I guess. Read ALL the stuff on HPDE, that is the place to start in NASA. HPDE Group 4 and Time Trials would be a very good place to spend a year or two or three. This would be the most cost effective place you could run.

You could also look into SCCA Solo to improve your skills. Also SCCA Regionals are something you could do low buck. Find out about any SCCA Racing in your area and go watch and see what the guys are doing.

ok ill do that, i found that moroso in jupiter has racing on the road courses sometimes. With my sebring/mini what would i eneter so that a intructer can ride with me and i can pass group1 and goto group2? also i found out that i cant race in scca at moroso or sebring without a competition license, so how do i race without one?

With my sebring/mini what would i eneter so that a intructer can ride with me and i can pass group1 and goto group2?

HPDE1 is the Instructor group. That's where you start. You can do all the HPDE classes with a street legal car.

also i found out that i cant race in scca at moroso or sebring without a competition license, so how do i race without one?

You can't race SCCA without a license. You would have to go through the SCCA license program. Your car would have to SCCA legal (i.e. Roll Cage).

I believe that Group 4 is the instructors group. Group 1 is Novice, then Intermediate (group2), then Advanced (group3).

If you want to get into competitive driving, you'd want to start by signing up with NASA Southeast and participate in their HPDE's. You'll advance as appropriate thru the ranks. It is helpful to start off in a car that you know and are comfortable in. You can always move up at a later date, once your driving skills improve.

I believe that Group 4 is the instructors group. Group 1 is Novice, then Intermediate (group2), then Advanced (group3).

I thought I read that in Group 1 he would have an instructor to ride with him while also doing the lead/follow laps. Is it not until Group 4 that the instructor rides with you?

Group 1 & 2 have the instructor in the car with the student. One could get signed off in 2 to run solo. Once into goup 3, instructor is optional. You can always request one.

Students must reach certain 'Milestones' in their group to advance. Smoothness, consistency and safety are at the forfront.

Since we instructors aren't paid, we get our own track time and that is in Group 4.

You can get a SCCA comp licence two ways: 1)take an accredited school(ie Panoz) and if you pass you will have a comp license and you can go race. 2)take the scca sponsored school. Its a weekend w/class and track. You will get a novice license and be watched for a couple of races. If you do okay you get a regional license and go on from there. The SCCA license is good to race in NASA.

As far as racing the Sebring..forget it!!! Sell it and use the proceeds to buy a real race car. Something that somebody spent a TON of money on developing the car...and now will sell to you for $.30 on the dollar. You will get unanimous agreement about this from EVERY race car driver

As far as racing the Sebring..forget it!!! Sell it and use the proceeds to buy a real race car. Something that somebody spent a TON of money on developing the car...and now will sell to you for $.30 on the dollar. You will get unanimous agreement about this from EVERY race car driver

Amen to that! Used race cars are about the best deals anywhere!

Amen to that! Used race cars are about the best deals anywhere!

I was trying to be nice about driving the Sebring, but if you guys are going to be painfully honest... then I agree totally. The Sebring is going to be a pig (sorry); it will not stop, it will not turn and it will not go. Sure you can make it do those things, if you rob a bank. Sell it, buy a race car or at least something that starts out as a performance car (i.e. Mustang/Camaro). Let the Mini be your daily driver. The Mini will teach you to become a mechanic (or an electrician), that or you'll spend a lot of time walking. Either way it's good for you.

Agreed. Building the Sebring will cost at least three times more than you think it will. The very worst thing a new racer can do is build and develope a new race car. You can by a race prepped car for well under 10K, hell, I sold a race ready 1991 BMW 318is for $3500 earlier this year. This may seem like were pissing in your corn flakes, but we are all speaking from many years of experience. I can think of countless race car projects such as your Sebring that never reached completion and are sitting in a barn somewhere covered in dust.

Also, your car doesn't fit into any popular classes. NASA has several wonderful race series. Buy a car that fits into one of those series.(shameless plug: check out GTS Challenge http://www.gtschallenge.com ) Take advantage of the $$$ and countless hours spent by others developing and building a car.

• 3 months later...

Group One in NASA is the beguining group. All group one students will be assigned an instructor (although you may have to share them with one or two other Group One students). The purpose of the first group is getting aclimated to the track enviroment and learning the school "line". Group Two is a chance to practise the basic car control and placement skills from Group One without an instructor to distract you. Often Groups One and Two will run at the same time. By Group Three, the students should be very good at driving "on-line" and are beguining to practise the basic "brake, turn, gas" skills consentrating on braking points, turn in points, and exit speeds. "Slow in / Fast out", "Scanning", "Thresh hold" and "trail" braking start to creep into group meetings. With your track knowledge and car control skills reasonably pollished it is time for Group Four. Although "sawing the wheel", "Rotating the car", "left foot braking" and other car control concepts are explored, the main purpose of Group Four is to learn to drive in traffic. Driving at close quarters at high speeds, in an enviroment where other students can pass you anywhere on the track. This is NOT the place to be learning "the line", or basic cars control skills. You will have enough to think about.

Shane:)

You mention you are 16 and have two cars. But there is no indication as to whether you are wealthy. Straight up, racing is expensive. Even at the Amature level, and even if you are the awesome driver from hell. Lots of people are interested in MINI's right now. That will make the parts and build-up less expensive than the Dodge which is a less popular choice as a track car. If the Dodge is reliable, it might make a decent open track or HPDE car, perfect for learning. The trick at your stage is to avoid wasting money. If you know what type of racing you want to do, start building that car. Build it according to the CCR of whatever group you plan to start racing with. Most importantly remmember that building your skill level is more important than having the fastest car. Do whatever you can to get time in the drivers seat. I am not wealthy, so I spent several years working for NASA at the track. I had been a Gate Guard, a Corner worker, a Timming and Scoring counter, a Pace Car driver, and the Chief of Safety before I built my first race car. If you have money, set up the best of the two cars (so it is safe) and get out on a track!