East Coast Cross Division 2009 Series

Red Tornado

I may be in the minority here, but for me it would not be about any championship or points rather it would be about getting a good sized field with lots of competition at great venues.

Let's not forget the big picture.

Hmm... that post makes sense. No wonder some jackass accused me of being you on the CMC forum.

Actually I think many of us won't compete much in region next year as staying for a season championship takes tons of races at the same tracks all the time. It's fun but get's almost boring.

I would rather only race 5 weekends all year and the nationals and do friday thru sunday race weekends at some kickin tracks. Besides most of the cost is just doing the race weekend not an extra 6 hours of driving.

And it is more about having really big attendance at some events.

I for one would love to do a sebring or Daytona this year.

Do like a spring and summer deal.

Daytona, Road Atlanta, and VIR spring.

Road America (or sub new bluegrass course), Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen summer.

Let nationals count as a floater and allow a fair amount of drops. So 7 race weekends possible for 14 races and you can drop 5 or 6 races.

As soon as regions get calendar's out I will ask John if he can get up a poll for helping choose how many events and than which tracks and dates out of like 8 choices.

Matt...I think too many drops creates a situation where you risk too big a percentage of a small group choosing not to show for a given race and a small field ruining the entire idea.

Btone...I realize its about the competition, but having something to race for adds to the incentive to do it. Otherwise it would be easier to arrange occasional one off races where a number of the national level guys agree to and show up at a given event. If the goal is to get a steady minimum of 10 cars to show for these events, scheduling a three to five event championship will encourage more participation.

I am fine with ageeing on one race and going, but I think it makes it more interesting to a wider group if you have a group racing for something. But thats just me.

• 3 weeks later...

OK Tornado,

Lets see that schedule!

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to lay out an "east coast supper schedule"! Lay it out so it works for you (and the guy one step to you left in Ohio, me) and see how the crowd reacts. None of us may have jobs but gas is cheaper.

This message will self destruct in 3, 2,.......never mind. Oh hell, I cant even post photos!!!!

Here are some dates as I know them.

March 13-15 @ Road Atlanta

April 17-19 @ Mid Ohio

May 30-31 @ Barber Motorsports Park

June 20-21 @ Sebring(12 Hour Course)

July 11-12 @ Mid Ohio

August 7-9 @ Road Atlanta

August 7-9 @ Daytona (SCCA ITO Class)

October 2-4 @ Watkins Glen

October 10-11 @ VIR

March 13-15 @ Road Atlanta

May 30-31 @ Barber Motorsports Park

June 20-21 @ Sebring(12 Hour Course)

August 7-9 @ Daytona (SCCA ITO Class)

October 2-4 @ Watkins Glen

I'd be game for these dates.

Once dates are final I will perhaps get 6 or 7 choices out there and have folks choose the top 5.

Assume Road Atlanta, VIR, Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, and Daytona or Sebring as a minimum.

Perhaps throw in a Road America and Barber for another choice.

Looks like currently southern courses in spring - Road Atlanta and Sebring/Daytona and Northern courses in spring and summer.

I think 5 events and you can drop 4 races so you only have to attend 3 events but then give some bonus points for attendance so folks want to attend all and we are good to go.

My hope again is once dates are final to ask JWL to have a poll so we can put up 6-7 choices and have folks vote on which ones and which dates.

• Members

Here Are my picks.

Chris DeSalvo East coast AI championship Director (official or unofficial)

If you cut your posting fetish in half you will have plenty of time to fulfill you duties. (That comment is said with admiration as you would be missed (half of the time))

Just pick the ones to go to and run with it. You will never get a consensus on what everyone wants …so you may as well pick the best tracks you want. Organize it and every one will follow regardless of the tracks and dates. It will be what it will be (how profound). The inaugural season will be put in the history books with Chris as the leader. It will only get better year after year. I know Chris and he would be great at this. I am sure you will have everyone’s support.

Robin will be the official rules keeper and scrutinizer. Set the rules as to the number of drops, ties and all that up front stuff. The regular AI rules apply so that part is easy. Easier if all the races are run as NASA as the sanctioning body. Robin want this thing to happen as badly as any one so it is time to put the pedal to the metal and make it happen. Everyone thank Robin as he is doing a great job already. WhooHoo!!

Determine where to keep the points tally. Suggestion: keep it on the AI forums with no posts allowed. Keep a separate post for points discussions. Start a little one page website that lists the points and the dates. What more is reqired. www.eastcoastaichampion.com

Who is participating? Everyone who races at a race on the schedule whether they are participating in the ECAIC or not.

There….Done….off and running. Ok Chris. Where is the first race?

I will offer one free set of brake pads (DTC-70) front and rear to the points leader after the midway point of the season (must run hawk stickers). Any other incentives out there??

Good Luck, May the best driver win!!

Jay

And there you have it.

Robin and I will perform respective duties above and announce all details at the start of the new year.

Scarily Jay all my posts happen in the 20 minutes between eating with kids and getting them in the tub for baths.

This sounds like a great idea. It's easy to get burnt out racing the entire season for points and this might be a great way to race at different tracks.

Interested but we'll see what diesel prices are when the season rolls around.