YIKES! no premium gas in Atlanta! What to do for track days

laze1

Well, there is no/very limited supply of gas in Atlanta (and the SE overall). You can find regular sporadically, BUT NO DAYUM PREMIUM!

BTW: There is plenty of Diesel!

This was ok for awhile as I drove my old regular gas truck to work/etc...But this coming weekend I have a track day @ CMP...2 days worth!

Will regular gas and Octane booster work? If so, what Octane Booster is recommended?

Note: My engine is a stock NA 2006 Z......

Well, there is no/very limited supply of gas in Atlanta (and the SE overall). You can find regular sporadically, BUT NO DAYUM PREMIUM!

This was ok for awhile as I drove my old regular gas truck to work/etc...But this coming weekend I have a track day @ CMP...2 days worth!

Will regular gas and Octane booster work? If so, what Octane Booster is recommended?

104 Octane Boost

Do you guys have any gas in your neck-of-the-woods?

Varkwso--aren't you located out I-20 East near Augusta?

104 Octane Boost

Do you guys have any gas in your neck-of-the-woods?

Varkwso--aren't you located out I-20 East near Augusta?

Yes I am - no premium here either .

I have been running the F250 since it can still be filled cheap ($3.85 - yesterday).

Regular is still availabel here ~$3.80

mix 87 and unleaded race gas... I'm sure there is a fomula out there somewhere to calculate the exact mixture ratios to hit 93 octane

It's just a simple ratio of octanes and amount. For example 1 gal of 80 and 1 gal of 100 would be 2 gal of 90.

I have now purchased my limit of Premium (10 gal per station @ 4.59 a gal) from 2 different gas stations that I found with Premium..That filled the Z up completely, with a little more left in one dump can. So now I just needs to fill up the other 3 jugs and I will be good to go!

Today, about 1/2 the BP stations in the areas had Premium..nobody else does!

The plan now is to borrow a trailer, and tow the Z-car with a truck that uses Regular gas...So , my Z is full now, and I have 4x 5 Gal dump jugs that really hold almost 6 gal each...So I should be good for at least 2 track days, maybe more....

BTW: People will give you the "Evil Eye" when filling dump cans in the back of a truck....weird!!

BTW: People will give you the "Evil Eye" when filling dump cans in the back of a truck....weird!!

Just tell them you race car is out of gas and since it isn't street legal you could not have driven it down to the station!

That'll make them feel better!

My wife actually told me to "CANCEL MY TRACK DAY" to be a GOOD CITIZEN....

Being a well trained/experienced Husband....I gave her a gibberish/BS response.....and that seemed to confuse her enough to drop the subject...

Even through I am in the Great South (Atlanta Area), home of many good ole boys , racers, and PU Trucks......I wouldn't say CRAP in public about using gas for ANYTHING but going to Church and/or Work!!!!

So here is the plan: If somebody ask why I have numbers on the side of my car....I will tell then that I have a reserved space at the Baptist Church paddock..uh I mean Chapel.,,,,and my space is #53...That should work don't you think?

Doug...maybe you could pull this stunt for me,..then I will swing by your place on my way to CMP........

Just tell them you race car is out of gas and since it isn't street legal you could not have driven it down to the station!

Doug...maybe you could pull this stunt for me,..then I will swing by your place on my way to CMP........

I would by my car uses 112 leaded...

Canned octane booster fuel additives are JUNK, and do practically nothing. For example, if the booster says that it will boost 10 gallons of 87 octane by "5 points," then it will only take your 87 octane gas to 87.5 octane, not 92 octane.

1 octane point = 0.1 octane number

octane number = what's printed on the pump label

You will probably need a paycheck's worth of canned octane booster to bump a couple of tanks of 87 octane up to 93 octane. And, the stuff will leave a reddish color on your spark plug porcelain as it burns, so it makes reading the plugs a bit difficult.

If you can find it, you're probably better off buying $8/gallon 100 octane unleaded race fuel, if you're in that much of a pinch for good gas. They might have some at the track, but contact them before you show up to run.

Mark

That might have something to do with the rumor that static electricity caused by plastic bedliners can give off a spark and ignite the gasoline vapors. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but MythBusters proved that talking on a cell phone while filling your tank is harmless. I have no problems with yapping on the phone while filling the tank, but when filling gas cans, I set them on the ground. Besides, my truck is nice, and I don't want too much gasoline to be spilled in the bed.

Mark

That might have something to do with the rumor that static electricity caused by plastic bedliners can give off a spark and ignite the gasoline vapors. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but MythBusters proved that talking on a cell phone while filling your tank is harmless. I have no problems with yapping on the phone while filling the tank, but when filling gas cans, I set them on the ground. Besides, my truck is nice, and I don't want too much gasoline to be spilled in the bed.

Mark

I think it has more to do with people thinking he is hoarding gas during this "supply interruption" (it's not a shortage.... LOL).

I think it has more to do with people thinking he is hoarding gas during this "supply interruption" (it's not a shortage.... LOL).

PI55 on em. So you own a lawn care business, and you need gas for your mowers for the week. Big deal. Or, you like the smell. Tell em to get bent, either way. It's not like it's illegal. They are just jealous that they don't own 5 gallon gas cans, or they would be doing the same thing.

I should probably dump my 2 cans of 87 octane gas (from before Tropical Storm Fay) into my truck and fill them with 93 octane for the Sebring event in a couple of weeks, just to be safe. I'll need to fill them with 93 before I head south, anyway.

Mark

How long will gas "keep" in a sealed can?

I left 93 octane pump gas in the tank of my 1994 GT while I took 9 months to build a new engine for it several years ago, and the car ran just fine when I fired it up (I used the "break it in like you're gonna drive it" method of breaking the engine in...I basically beat the crap out of it, changed the oil, and away I went). No detonation, nothing.

Now, it's not uncommon for this car to go 2 or more months between getting fresh gas, since it's an occasional driver. During the last year and a half engine swap project, I pumped the old gas out of the tank and replaced it with fresh stuff (the year and a half old stuff ran my lawnmower just fine).

My 2004 GT HPDE car sat with about 1/4 tank of gas from early January until mid April between HPDE events. All I did was top it off with 3/4 tank of fresh gas before the April event, but everything was fine. It's currently been sitting with the same gas since early June, and I'm not concerned about the gas before my next event in mid October.

I left about 1/4 tank of pump gas in the tank of a blown up 1995 V6 Mustang when I bought it (unknown gas age and quality), then when I finally got around to putting another running 3.8L V6 in it 2 years later, the car started and ran fine, but it detonated a bit at WOT. A full tank of 93 octane later, and it was no longer pinging. After that, I ran it on 87 octane without problems.

I discarded 5 gallons of 104 octane unleaded race gas several years ago just because it was 6 to 9 months old. It smelled fine and looked fine, though. No residue or mung was left in the gas can.

I'm starting to wonder how much of that "gas breaks down" stuff is BS for gas that is a reasonable age (1 year or less).

Mark

Mark

there is no myth about static being a big factor when filling on a non-grounded area (like the bed of a truck) - 5 min on youtube will bring about plenty of gas station fire surveillance video from this very scenario

there is no myth about static being a big factor when filling on a non-grounded area (like the bed of a truck) - 5 min on youtube will bring about plenty of gas station fire surveillance video from this very scenario

While that may be true, Adam and Jamie (not really authorities on much, other than being a couple of tools who hired a redhead as eye candy) concluded that the cell phone myth was caused by people being "charged" when they got out of their vehicles, and accidentally discharged the static spark while filling their vehicles normally. I can say that I often carry a charge after getting out of my cloth-seat F-150, especially in dry winter weather, so I make sure to ground myself before filling up (usually accomplished every time I close the door). I wonder how many of those bedliner static explosions were due to the person carrying the charge.

What in the hell was the original topic here? lol

Mark

While that may be true, Adam and Jamie (not really authorities on much, other than being a couple of tools who hired a redhead as eye candy)

That alone is worth watching the show for.

While that may be true, Adam and Jamie (not really authorities on much, other than being a couple of tools who hired a redhead as eye candy)

That alone is worth watching the show for.

Careful guys.... I know her Dad!