Leatt Brace device

Cheap_Thrills

I don't want to re-spark the debate in the other marathon head/neck restraint thread. I'm not downing any other device, I have never used any HNR. I just have some questions specifically about the Leatt Brace.

Anyone have any experience with it they can share, pro or con?

I've never seen one in person. Looks a little bulky, obviously an adapted motocross application, but I like the idea of the of the tetherless design. I'd like the option to turn my head as much as needed. I figure my head was designed to turn approx 180 degrees for a reason, I don't want to argue with my manufacturer's design

Supposedly this thing offers the required protection plus freedom of mobility in all these situations:

Hyperflexion – head moving forwards

Hyperextension – head moving backwards

Posterior Hypertranslation – head moving backwards on the neck

Lateral Hyperflexion – head moving sideways (side impact)

Axial Loading – compressive force acting on the spine

Control head deceleration to prevent traumatic brain injury

Protect the soft tissue neck structures from your safety harness and chest protector.

Control in-car head movements after more than one impact e.g. car roll-over

Protection if ejected from the vehicle protection

it has been "almost here" for the last two years. I do know a local racer who has one and he likes it. I haven't met him in person since he got it to discuss it more with him.

It is not tetherless BTW, there are tethers that loop around your helmet straps where they insert into the helmet, and they are attached to a piece that slides into the rear part. The manual on the site shows this. They had to do that to pass 38.1

It has promise but their responsiveness sucks. They seem overwhelmed with the motorcycle apps of it.

There is another new one coming out soon - see www.defnder.com - think Hans with some additional lateral support

bruce

I have one that I traded a HD with a drag racer at Indy. I needed to have one to show at my dealer training sessions. There were actually two at Indy. Neither racer liked it and said it was very uncomfortable. It is a good bit bigger than the HD. Yes, they do require tethers from the device to the helmet to pass SFI. Only issue in my mind is having something hard, like the front of the Leatt, in front of your neck. You don't really want anything like that can come in contact with the soft tissue of the neck. That is one reason why most sanctioning bodies, and most manufacturers have stopped making, have stopped allowing the sternum strap on harnesses.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

• National Staff

First, I have nothing against the Hans Device, and there are many drivers that it seems to work great for. However, I purchased one, and after 10 minutes on the track, multiple attempts to get it to fit my seat application and trap muscles, and two days of sore traps, I sold it for a $100 loss. I think that the combination of my seat inclination (probably not back at a full 20 degrees), and my somewhat large trapezius muscles and neck is what made it impossible to fit correctly. I just couldn't get space between the Hans and the seat.

Anyway, I ended up looking to see if the Leatt Braces were ready. After I couldn't find a dealer, I just called Leatt in Valencia, CA directly. $695 to the credit card, and it was shipped out that day. So, I'm not sure what Bruce is talking about regarding being responsive. I got it in two days. No drilling and a few minor adjustments for my size, and it was good to go. I have been very pleased with it, and used it at the Championships. It doesn't limit my ability to turn my head to the side to see like the Hans did, and it has been very comfortable with my harness straps pulled nice and tight. Another problem that I had with the Hans (again probably just my problem with fitment) was that the harness straps were not staying put on the device despite the lip that the Hans has to keep them in place. The Leatt has a much more secure system for keeping the belts where they belong. Before I bought it, I was wondering if the back piece would annoy me up against the seat, but it doesn't (the reason that I didn't try the R3 or Hybrid).

I have emailed them to ask questions - sometimes they respond, sometimes they don't. They haven't recently.

They also haven't updated their site to make it known that the device is available now (e.g. it still says the price is to be confirmed).

thanks,

bruce

Greg, I would be interested in where you purchased your HANS Device and did you speak with someone or just order it from their site. I would guess the issue with comfort was you may have got the wrong model. Also, to make sure it is clear, the epaulets are not on the device to keep the harness on. Proper harness mounting does that. If you have a picture of your harness mounting and seat, I would like to look at it just to confirm. If you would like to email this info to me, that would be great. I would like to know who you purchased the HD from, whether you spoke with anyone and that is what they recommended (I may have to contact them about additional training) or if you just ordered it from someones website, how tall you are, how much do you weight and how is your seat mounted. My email address is [email protected]. Thanks.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

Well, I didn't do my homework. I made my assumption by just looking at it that it was tetherless, kind of looked like my helmet support pad on steroids. I'm having 2nd thoughts also about having something hard in front of my soft throat, might be OK on a bike but I don't know about in the car.

I don't need a HNR until '09, I'll wait for the launch of the Defnder and hopefully be able to do better side by side comparison on all of them by then. I'll pay top dollar, I just want the best performer. Maybe Grassroots Mag or someone will do a comparo for us.

Thanks.

nobody has reported problems with the front of your throat with the Leatt design. That is the competition instilling doubt in a product. Keep reading, look at crash videos on their site, etc. If anything, you'd be more at risk of that with a motorbike because nothing is holding the device down on your shoulders. In a car, the device is held down, and the tethers stop forward motion.

bruce

Well, I didn't do my homework. I made my assumption by just looking at it that it was tetherless, kind of looked like my helmet support pad on steroids. I'm having 2nd thoughts also about having something hard in front of my soft throat, might be OK on a bike but I don't know about in the car.

I don't need a HNR until '09, I'll wait for the launch of the Defnder and hopefully be able to do better side by side comparison on all of them by then. I'll pay top dollar, I just want the best performer. Maybe Grassroots Mag or someone will do a comparo for us.

Thanks.

Right, nobody has but that doesn't make it an invalid concern. Of course, there are only a handful of the devices actually in use right now. Notice that no other product has anything hard in front of the neck though.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

Maybe Grassroots Mag or someone will do a comparo for us.

That will never happen. Besides the technical insurmountables, the politics on this topic are radioactive.