2005 rules - rain tire clarification

swhiteh3

I believe our rules specifiy that all tires need to be DOT legal. However, the popular tire in many road-racing classes for heavy rain and standing water (myself included) is the Hoosier Dirt Stocker, which is not DOT legal. Can we please make a ruling on this?

Also, another tire in question is Hoosier GAC (Grand Am Cup) take-offs. These are basically R3S03s and R3S04s, but have not received DOT cert. They are for sale in used condition cheap on eBay by many GAC teams which will not use them after two or three heat cycles.

Thoughts?

What the hell is "rain?"

Sorry everyone, had to say it.

Christine

For those that didn't go to college, rain is water that condenses from vapor in the atmosphere and falls to the Earth as drops.

Back to topic, rain tires are not just full treaded race tires, they should be a softer compound. I think that AI should be limited on rain tire selection, but perhaps allow the AIX cars some more freedom. Big horsepower like the Midwest guys have could be dangerous with hard tires. I can have a nearly unlimited supply of Pirelli and Yokohama rain tires in 18".

Just to confirm... no rain tires in AI, correct? The spec tire is the RA1, and that is what you run regardless of conditions?

We keep a set of full tread, not shaved toyos with us a the track. That is the rain tire of choice.

Fair enough, nothing says your Toyos have to be shaved... just wanted to make sure that this was AIX only. I just don't want to see some AI guy yanking out a set of A032R's on a rainy day.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread... but there was never really an "official" answer posted for this question:

In AI, do you have to run RA-1's in the rain?

I think I was told that you could run what ever you wanted in wet conditions.... but I haven't seen the "real" call on this issue.

In AI, do you have to run RA-1's in the rain?

I think I was told that you could run what ever you wanted in wet conditions.... but I haven't seen the "real" call on this issue.

Yes, you must run RA1's, rain or shine in AI. I recommend full thread depth for rain (or snow )

AIX must run any DOT legal rain tire, and I DON'T recommend Hoosier S04's in the wet (see Putnam results in spring of 04 for reference). Actually, I don't recommend Hoosiers at all due to their poor performance last year. Hoosier can bite me.