2005 Rules- Driveshaft Loop

tacovini

This is a lob-ball.

Driveshaft loops are required in CMC and many other racing series. While the CCR states it is only recommended for racing, I believe it should be mandatory in the AI rules.

"Tawk amongst ya'selves."

-=- Todd

Though the safety of an individual should be up to that individual, I agree that it wouldn't hurt to make this a rule. I have one in my cars and I feel better about it.

Argueably an H-Pipe or a torque arm crossmember could be considered a driveshaft failure protection device. If inacted the rule should state that the driveshaft be in-circled by a steel strap or equivalent method. There should also be a specification on where the loop should be placed (between 4 and 18 incles of the front u-joint for example)

Dave you are correct, but what if the driveshaft spins into the car instead of dropping down and catapulting the car. I've seen this is roundy round cars. Most loops go around the shaft 360 degrees. They are cheap and easy to install.

Thats why I offered up this:

the rule should state that the driveshaft be in-circled by a steel strap or equivalent method. There should also be a specification on where the loop should be placed (between 4 and 18 incles of the front u-joint for example)