2005 Rules- Decal Package

tacovini

Decal Requirements:

Declaration Decals- Official HP/TQ/Min. WT shall be displayed uniformly in small font of each competitor's vehicle on the XXX area of the windshield as determined by the most recent official dyno test. These #s will be based upon the average of 3 consecutive dyno pulls and will be displayed to within one decimal place only. (ex. HP- 298.4) Engine modifications requiring dyno recertification also necessitate updated "9.5:1 Declaration Decals".

I believe full disclosure of each competitor's formula which is the backbone of the AI series helps everyone...competitors, future competitors, tech inspectors, directors, spectators, magazine writers, scale workers, etc.

-=- Todd

Racer not Director

Todd,

What about those competitors that change there hp and tq numbers from event to event? What do you do when the surprise dyno at the track reads a completely different number from the one on the windshield?

What's the point of putting the numbers on the windshield?

I guess the issue is how often does a competitor make changes to the HP/TQ? I don't do much in the area of engine (knock on wood) changes so a decal package is OK by me but if we were constantly tweaking the motor, getting new dyno sheets, etc etc then it would be a major pain.

I like the idea of displaying the HP/TQ on the cars ALA the old Trans Am days, but I'm not sure how practical it would be. If we used sheets of "standard" number decals, then it might be quite simple to peel off some new numbers and put them on the car?

• Members

I agree a sheet of vinyl #'s at Office supply stores costs $0.99 - surely you spend more on dyno pulls to 'dial in your car' -

I think is an awesome way for spectators to 'identify' with their favorite driver - and creates a nice statistical 'tidbit' for future AI racers. And that is the ultimate goal here is to draw in more racers to have more FUN racing.

It's not like we have some magic # that we are hiding - everyone knows that most of these cars weigh between 2700 and 3500 lbs and make 300-400 hp...

(edited for speeling)

It's not like we have some magic # that we are hiding - everyone knows that most of these cars weigh between 2700 and 3500 lbs and make 300-400 hp...

There you have it, my decals will read

Wght: 2700-3500

Hp: 300-400

Edited by Guest

Actually you could put your hp and then add a +-11 after it.

The biggest reason that I am against putting the hp and tq on the windshields is that I really don't think it's anything to brag about. It's one thing to brag about 500 hp but to put 315 hp on your windshield when a stock Cobra puts out 390hp and a stock GT puts out 300 just doesn't seem that impressive. I guess the argument could also be made that people may currently think we make more hp that we do based on our lap times.

Only in my dreams right now. I am on the "bad" side of each of these numbers. I like the idea of the decals to explain my poor performance to spectators. Not exactly a reason to establish a new rule, but that would be my motivation.

• Members
Or the humiliation of getting whupped by the guy who has only 225 RWHP!.......

Exactly! That gives all the folks who are watching on the sidelines hope that they might be the next 'hot shoe' who can drive like that!

John Pearson has great video of him passing me at Lowes on the back straight - 280hp vs 500 hp!

The biggest reason that I am against putting the hp and tq on the windshields is that I really don't think it's anything to brag about. It's one thing to brag about 500 hp but to put 315 hp on your windshield when a stock Cobra puts out 390hp and a stock GT puts out 300 just doesn't seem that impressive. I guess the argument could also be made that people may currently think we make more hp that we do based on our lap times.

With the 9.5:1 rule anybody with a calculator can figure out what power you are making...and the lap times some of us are turning is impressive for what little power our cars DO make - says more for the driver's ability than anything else...

I like it. Look at the NOPI crowd. They all want to know numbers. This gives people the #'s. We have never been a group to not share them from my experience, but this opens up the option for spectators to take more notice. I don't know if it should be a rule, but we can all certainly do it anyway. I of course am way underpowered and heavy so that may be my motivation here.

I like the idea...

The numbers should reflect the current dyno sheet the competitor is claiming, not the at-the-track dyno results. As long as the dyno results at the track are within +/- 10hp, the competitor could keep the decals from their dyno sheet.

Oh, and just to clear things up, it should read:

2800#

228HP, 294TQ

...at the tires baby!!!

• Members
As long as the dyno results at the track are within +/- 10hp, the competitor could keep the decals from their dyno sheet.

Except in the case of the wilstone car

it should read +/- 11hp... LOL!

(posted as a comedian and not a director)

Unfortunately Jim you forgot the part where other cars were also reading off.

I personally find no humor in that at all and I hope you as a competitor or a director face the same situation so that you can experience the frustration level that we experienced. You probably wouldn't joke about it if you did.

The picture a couple of posts up is of my car so I'm in favor of adding the numbers to the windshield. I got lots of positive feedback on my sticker from people walking the pits checking things out and several people wanted to know the numbers on the other cars.

It's also nice to have the minimum weight right there for impound. It got really old when we rolled the car up on the scales to get the weight and didn't have a clue whether or not the car was legal.

Also on the topic of stickers, I'd like to request that we have the car number and class on the back of the car. The AI rules already require it on both sides of the car and the CCR requires the number on the front of the car.

I take in-car video and show some highlights to people that might be interested in joining. The biggest complaint I got from people not associated with the series was that they had a hard time following what was going on and whether or not the car I just passed was in my class or not.

I have the car number and class on the back of my car and was thanked by the event photographer. He sorts pictures of the cars by number and always having the number in view helped him a bunch.

Richard P

NASA TX AI #91

• 2 weeks later...

No interest here in numbers on the car...each little thing like this adds complexity and cost including remembering to manage it when things change...

west coast

ai #46