NASA Approved 5-Gal. Fuel Containers

ianacole

I asked about this about 6 months ago. You can use the same 5 gallon jugs that you have always used. Any color except RED. You may use the California NON COMPLIANT jugs for fueling the race cars but you can use them for transport or storage.

Hope this helps,

Richard Migliori # 4 ES

Why not RED???Norman P#77

I imagine red flag confusion. I have on several occasions been asked not to stand next to the track even for spectating while wearing a red shirt. Now I just don't pack anything red.....

I might be wrong but that makes sense to me....

--Doug

I asked about this about 6 months ago. You can use the same 5 gallon jugs that you have always used. Any color except RED. You may use the California NON COMPLIANT jugs for fueling the race cars but you can use them for transport or storage.

Hope this helps,

Richard Migliori # 4 ES

These are the ones that I currently have (unfortunately 2 red and 1 purple): jazr.jpg

Here are the details: http://bwproducts.com/racks/jaz/index.htm

Legal?

Did you mean "cannot use them for transport or storage"?

what rule says you have to use NASA approved fuel jugs?

And why wouldn't red fuel jugs be ok in the pits?

8.2.4. (This section is not applicable to ES and ESR): All refueling must be done using NASA

approved 5-gallon containers, which must be labeled “GASOLINE,” “PETROL,” or “GAS.” All gas

containers shall remain capped when not in use. The cap may include a hose if the hose is capped when

not in use. Shutoff valves are considered to be a legitimate cap. Fuel container vent hoses of less than

3/16th inside diameter need not be capped. Vent lines of larger diameter must be capped or “pinched off”

to prevent spillage.

I've used red jugs in three enduros this year. No problems.

There would be no legitimate reason to make a rule against red fuel jugs. It's not like you are on the track waving it around at the drivers. You're in the pits filling up. Most tracks the driver can't even see into the pits as they are driving by. And if a driver would confuse a red fuel jug for a waving red flag... there are serious issue there, and it's not with the color of the fuel jug.

Patrick

There was another discussion of this recently where specific brands or models were discussed, you might want to search for that. I know the VP Fuels jugs CDOC sells are legal so that's what I have.

The "no red jugs" idea is new to me. There is no such restriction and as we all know, most gasoline containers are red. Red = gas. Blue = kero. Yellow = diesel. White = water.

I did read through the threads that I found searching for "fuel jugs" and found a lot of non-answers, one "we all know which jug is approved" answer, and a couple of references to Scribner jugs. There was no definitive list of approved jugs. I did glean though that as long as the jug is not identified as being 6 or more gallons it should be acceptable, I should just mark the 5 gallon line.

The rule is mainly to prevent the use of the Hunsaker "5 gallon" jugs which are actually 6 gallon jugs. So as long as your jug can only realistically hold 5 gallons, you should be good to go.

You may call Speedway products for the exact information. That is where this came from and from the state of california. Red is the designated color for gasoline. The 5 gallon jugs everyone uses is "NOT CALIFORNIA COMPLIANT" and is subject to confiscation. All companies will sell you or ship to California any color except red. It is also stated that you cannot store or transport fuel in these because they are not compliant. It is an envirnment law. The only cans that are Cal compliant are the ones that are spring loaded and forces you to spill more fuel than you can get in your lawn mower or spill 80% down the side of your car when you run out of gas on the freeway! When you buy them, they must read you the disclaimer specific for California and about 5 other states.