2005 rules - AIX HP & Torque rule

Grizlbits

I can honestly say that 1 year ago I hammered anyone who brought this up. However, I now an leaning towards a h.p. & torque rule in AIX. I want to race competatively with other similar powered cars. I do not get that currently because I have more H.P. than a lot of other cars. As the series progresses, someone will show up with a 2700 pound car with 1000 h.p. and kick everyones butt. It is just a matter of time. This class will have most it's member leave and drop to a different class at that time. I know what it takes to run a fast car with a lot of h.p.. Money, and lots of it! I am trying to figure out ways around it (tires, brakes, strong transmissions, strong motor blocks etc) but it is a lot of up front money to make a competative, DEPENDABLE, AIX car. This will continue to skyrocket in the coming years driving out most of the members in the class. It needs to be addressed soon IMO.

How about 5 pounds / h.p. & torque ????? That would cap most cars around 600 RWHP, which is what most competative cars are shooting for.

Edit - spelling

Edited by Guest

Personally I think AIX should NOT have any HP/Torque limits - economically speaking, who would build a 1000 HP car to compete in a series where all you win is bragging rights? Besides, I like seeing the monster motors compete! And the real challenge is can you build a monster motor to last the whole season?

I like seeing the monster motors compete!

I guess I was leaning more towards close competition. I think that close competition is what will eventually brings sponsors & fans to our races. I don't think that motors winning races will draw the crowds / sponsors. After competing in AIX for 14 races I can honestly say that I haven't had a close race yet (shut up about Putman Park in the rain). It is kind of boring. Ask yourselves this, What do fans watch during a race, a car all by itself in the lead, or 2 - 3 cars battling for position lap after lap.

If AIX continues at it's current rate it will become exhibition racing with Motor vs. Motor. Unless the motors are kept even remotely even, I feel the "racing" will deteriorate in AIX.

Maybe I have different goals than the standard AIX racer. Lets see what you guys think after you spank the field with no real competition for a year. I think your views may change, then again maybe not. I guess I have chosen the wrong class. I am in NO WAY downgrading my competition in AIX, their are some good racers in AIX. I am just pointing out that I have either way more h.p. than some people, or way more dependability than others. The situation has not produced any close races to date. So I am really up in the air on what to run. I want to battle lap after lap, maybe AI is the way to go....

I agree to a point.

Out here the monster motors have stayed away, and when they have shown up, they haven't done much for long. I would guess that most are still in the mid 400-500 hp range. A 306 that was consistently driven well won the 2002-2003 AIX championships.

I don't think there should be any limitations on HP/TQ in AIX.

I understand Chris' frustration (not from personal experience mind you) but I really like the open rules of AIX. The extreme class is supposed to be the place to run your WILD HIGH HP machine, parts breakage included.

John

Isn't 600hp really enough! Chris has spanked everyone that lined up on the track with him...he probably understands this subject better than anyone.

Sidney Franklin

AGS/AI #64

I don't think HP is the only reason no one can keep up with Chris. There are several AI cars that finish in front of a good portion of the AIX field. Limiting HP may help but I don't think it will put Chris in second place.

Greg Brown

OH/IN AI #7

I don't think HP is the only reason no one can keep up with Chris. There are several AI cars that finish in front of a good portion of the AIX field. Limiting HP may help but I don't think it will put Chris in second place.

Greg Brown

OH/IN AI #7

If he would let his wife drive, you'd see how fast that car could be and Chris would be in second. JK Chris, tell Sue hi for me.

Beautiful car Chris! I probably won't be running in AI or AIX any more due to fundage but last year Bruce, Ross, Bill Daffron, John Lindsey and I were pretty much the front runners in AIX/West at every race. We all had very different cars and only one of them was a big HP car. John and I only had about 440 rwhp in a mildly built 331 and a car that weighed in at a stout 3029 lbs. The thing of it was the racing was insanely close. I dont know how much HP Bruce's car with a 306 put out but I know his car is much, much lighter. Bill Daffron and Ross Murray had the most power (i think). At the end of the race at Reno/Fernly there was about 15 ft between the first place front bumper and the 3rd place front bumper. Before I go trying to get a ton of horsepower I would try to make the car the lightest I possibly could. As far as a HP/TQ - WT rule, I could go either way. But it doesn't matter because I probably wont be in this series any more. Pending a big lottery coming my way.

TimN

Actually we only had about 440 crank HP which works out to even less at the wheels. This is an interesting rule change that we've discussed many times before and the thought always comes back to X=Xtreme=Big Thumpers. Bruce proved you don't need a ton of HP to win and sometimes I think a bunch of power can be a hindrance because you can't put power down and it also tends to blow up more often. We'll discuss again, though, and see where we come out.

-JWL

Leave AIX alone, there should not be any limits.

I think AIX in every region is a much smaller group than AI, if you are not getting enough competition in AIX then either wait for the numbers to increase or run AI.

Richard.

The September (I think) race at Thunderhill was a pretty good example of power. Three cars were there. Bruce in the #40, Tim/ JWL in the #22, and Terry Buch/Vageli in the TCP car. Terry claimed they had about 450 HP, we had never dyno the 306 on an engine dyno, but it made 390 RWHP at the beginning of the 2002 season, and John had claimed his car was a bit over 400 at the crank. None of the three cars could pull away going down the long straight at T Hill. Terry and I looked at eachother and agreed that nobody was apparently lying.

Tim, I don't know how much Lightning weighs but the #40 is race ready at about 3150-3200 depending on the driver. In my career, it's never had a driver under 200 lbs.

Tim, I don't know how much Lightning weighs but the #40 is race ready at about 3150-3200 depending on the driver. In my career, it's never had a driver under 200 lbs.

Hey, i thought everybody from Kalifornia was thin and beautiful...200lbers belong in the midwest!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that AIX should utilize a HP/Torque rule. If someone builds a car with huge horsepower, let them come and play. They will find there is a lot more to road racing than just HP (of course it can be handy ! ). Having to put cars on the dyno is time consuming and with all that horsepower, sometimes things could get dicey. If there was a HP/Torque rule, then where is a fair starting point for anyone who has already built a car with more than the rules would allow. I know that big HP is not cheap (neither is a well built sub 350 RWHP engine) and for anyone who has built one beyond any HP limits, then they would have to spend more money to rebuild or make changes to the current engine. I have never had my car on the dyno and have no idea how much the car makes....but I do know that some of the cars I raced this season were comparably built, as speeds down the straights were very similar. I say, concentrate on car weights, maximum wheel widths (I like 12" myself) and suspension related issues and don't impose any HP/Torque maximum rules.

David Morrison

#9 AIX Kenny Brown Equipped 1988 Mustang

NASA Southeast Region