2005 rules- fiberglass hatch/trunk

trackboss

I have been asking for this going on 3 years now and always been turned down. My main reason is that these are cheap and the originals are no longer available from Ford. They are part of the aftermarket which is a part of this series intent as well. I have been told in the past that I can get a used one from so and so for next to nothing. Well, it is still much less expensive for me to make a 3 minute phone call to a company like jegs and have one at my doorstep in a week for under $500. I am not willing to drive out to some boneyard or several hundred miles to find one. It is just a waste of time. Some of these cars are getting old and some of the parts are not available new. In addition, if you get one of these from a quality manufacturer, like harwood, they look completely original and require almost no prep. work to paint. A used one would cost more to paint than one of these. Also, they save a significant amount of weight and along those lines are much less of a danger for coming loose from the car in an accident. Your thoughts.

No one will ever convince me that it is fair to keep this part out of AI. It is simply a stock replacement part which happens to be currently available and made of ‘glass as well as affordable, unlike the original part. We can go out and build cars with $10k+ worth of suspension and brakes as well as motors that cost the same or more yet we cannot install a stock replacement hatch because our current one may be damaged or destroyed simply because it is not made of steel. This is downright stupid. If it was only about lightweight then one could remove a whole lot of material from the factory piece and do that.

Guys-

I still don't buy the scarcity argument at all. Car-part.com shows hundreds of hatches from $60 on up all over the nation. I also have been crawling local junkyards for rice parts lately and there are more Fox hatchbacks than you can count and they all go for $70-$100 in perfect shape. If anyone local wants one, I have two perfect hatches off my junkers I'd gladly sell for $50 each to AI racers. I'm also not at all convinced on the safety issue as I've never heard or seen one of these flying off in many years of opentracking and racing Mustangs.

Still, we'll think about the change but you have to realize that this is going to cost people serious money as everyone and their Cousin Fred will immediately think they need to upgrade to save weight high up in the car. I know I would immediately lose my metal hatch if I was racing an AI car and had a chance to lose weight that high up and replace it with ballast where I wanted it to go. Of course, then we'll *really* have a glut of stock hatchbacks!

-JWL

John,

That might be the case in rust free california but out here in the rust belt it's REALLY tough to find a nice decklid and the prices are definitely higher out here.

Perhaps we could coordinate putting a trailer full of hatches together to ship out this way and sell for a profit!!!

Damnit, was my own personal scam. I was gonna buy up all the good stock hatches and then sell them back at inflated prices. Just kidding. JWL, I understand what you are saying and appreciate your looking into this, but on the other hand I don’t think it is all true. You don’t need a lightweight hatch to win. Besides, it is rear weight which a mustang needs. I have never seen a hatch fly off, but looking at the hinges I do think it can happen. You do know first hand that they pop up regularly as your car has demonstrated on more than one occasion. Also, to be competitive an AI car needs several thousand dollars worth of suspension, brakes, motor, etc. The ‘glass hatch is nothing compared to this. A weekend of racing costs far more. I have made my reasons clear why it should be allowed. Also, have you ever thought about if you never allow this that some folks might weld their hatch on to increase the stiffness of the chassis? If that is the case then the same people that think the ‘glass would be a requirement will also follow along with this. This rule is so simple to change without any whining. I think it should be done and more effort put into more important issues that are being discussed on the board right now.

Furthermore, what about the new guy or gal that is currently setting up their street car for AI and already has a fiberglass hatch? Do they get turned away for something so stupid. For the most part, AI cars have grown from street driven/open track cars. Things like aftermarket hoods and hatches/trunks are quite common.

Cool! If you Furd folks get 'glass hatches, that opens up the rules about replacement body panels! I'm gonna get me a carbon fiber hatch!

And maybe the Camaro will weigh closer to a Mustang finally!

Christine

Mark, I have a 92 GT hatch that I can bring to Summit in October for you. Just buy me some dinner and it is all yours.

Tom.

Mark isn't going to Summit.... but I am! Now how the hell would I get that home...

Mark, I have a 92 GT hatch that I can bring to Summit in October for you. Just buy me some dinner and it is all yours.

Tom.

Mark isn't going to Summit.... but I am! Now how the hell would I get that home...

I'll supply you with some moving blankets, some body tape and even two ratchet straps and you can get it home!