Reserved numbers

racercosmo

Does NASA have a reserved number list? With more CMC and AI cars joining, we should make sure that nobody shows up and has to change their number at the track. This is especially a problem with CMC. The AI guys all know who runs what number, and the CMC guys know eachother, but since they are in the same group, there needs to be more cross comunication.

I have seen a few new CMC cars this year with numbers that AI guys use.

• Members

Our policy in the southeast is to give whoever registers for an event first - gets to keep their # - anyone who registers after that will have to change their number (add a 1, etc) just for that event.

Another idea would be to require everyone in AI/AIX/CMC to add their class to their # - so you'd have 84cmc, 84ai, 84aix all racing together...(hopefully they don't all have the same color/make/model cars!)

We frequently have # overlap in the race groups - but in order to give everyone a reserved # you'd have to appoint someone the racer # director...

Posted as a director and a racer

Cos - we have an Excel spreadsheet that keeps track of make/model, number, contact info, etc. That covers CMC, AI and AIX, although no one is running AIX in Texas. Yet.

I am building my first AI car and will want to paint it. Can we apply for a number or be assigned a number before I paint the car so I don't have to change the number later? Can we have a list for available or taken numbers or can we apply for several numbers and be assigned the first available one?

Peder, does the number list get shred between AI and CMC? There is a new CMC car with #31 which has been an AI number for 2 1/2 years now. There is also a 77 CMC car. I know that Tim Gilpin has been out of AI since the beginning of the season, but it would probably be nice for him to return next year and still have his number.

My $.02:

One number only, across the entire nation and series, for AI/X. I'd like to include CMC in this, but that opens up a HUGE can of worms I don't want to deal with.

Two digits only, a number cannot be reused until the owner of that number officially retires it from AI/X. Any duplicates need to be reassigned for the 2005 season, based on "age" in the series. (The older, longer running number stays, the newer one gets reassigned.)

This is a national series, right? To me, AI #42, AIX #40, AI #29, etc etc, mean one car comes to mind. It's like hearing someone talk about the lousy career of Christine Knight and how she's a total b!tch on the East Coast or something.

Thanks for listening,

Christine

My $.02:

One number only, across the entire nation and series, for AI/X. I'd like to include CMC in this, but that opens up a HUGE can of worms I don't want to deal with.

Two digits only, a number cannot be reused until the owner of that number officially retires it from AI/X. Any duplicates need to be reassigned for the 2005 season, based on "age" in the series. (The older, longer running number stays, the newer one gets reassigned.)

This is a national series, right? To me, AI #42, AIX #40, AI #29, etc etc, mean one car comes to mind. It's like hearing someone talk about the lousy career of Christine Knight and how she's a total b!tch on the East Coast or something.

Thanks for listening,

Christine

I agree with you Christine.

Although I'm staying out of the really hot and technical topics because I'm a newbie, I feel qualified to post on this topic.

The idea of a national numbering system is a very good one - it would eliminate a problem when/if racers travel to a region outside of their own.

However, if a national numbering system is instituted, a 2 digit number won't be enough. Right now, based on a quick car count, we're over 100 cars. That covers AI, AIX, and CMC.

The idea of one system for the whole country sounds like a good idea, but I think there are to many cars for that to be realistic. Example, who gets number 00 if one east coast and one west coast car both are currently running it. What are the chances of the two cars ever running the same event? How many drivers attend other regions events? And those who do attend other events may have to change there number if someone else has it. It doesn't seem to make sense to create a national system, when the chances of cars with similiar numbers at an event are small.

However, I think it is a very good idea for each region to have a registered number system. A number should be registerer annually and who ever had it the previous year has first dibs.

Adam, can you get me the Texas numbers? I can't seem to find them on the net. I am working on a national number list and you guys are the only ones missing.

So far it looks like 42 and 67 are the hot numbers.

• Members

I have to agree w/Dave - each region maintains a list and every driver declares their 'home region' - if you run outside your region you risk having to adjust your number accordingly.

Besides adding a racer tape '1' next to a number for a weekend is really quite simple

each region maintains a list and every driver declares their 'home region' - if you run outside your region you risk having to adjust your number accordingly.

Besides adding a racer tape '1' next to a number for a weekend is really quite simple

I even thought of the procedure for a "National event". Use points as the deciding factor for same numbers. A front runner should have priority. Now, how and the hell do I get to be a front runner?

If I recall correctly, when we went back East last year, John Pearson and Guy Cunningham were equipped with the same number, Guy became 42w.

The big problem with having the same number is that one car may get black flagged and the flagger may not notice the difference between 42 white and 42 Green.

We had a situation a few years ago where two SN95 Mustangs were black, they both had red numbers and they were both double numbers. #99 received the black flag for #77.

When I started this topic, I wasn't really as concerned with cross regions as I was with new cars entering with the same number as a car currently competing.

Ask the Wilstone team about the down sides of having two cars with the same number at the same event. It cost them about ten starting positions at the Mid-Ohio race!

Ask the Wilstone team about the down sides of having two cars with the same number at the same event. It cost them about ten starting positions at the Mid-Ohio race!

I felt real bad about how that happened. If I could have made some sense of the false grid I would have noticed prior to rolling on the track. For what ever its worth, I got screwed out of 5 positions on Sunday.

I like the idea of each region having it's own full set of numbers. If someone runs in another region that has duplicate numbers they can tape a second number on their car as mentioned earlier.

Maybe each region could register each number and even charge an annual fee (like $10) for each number for the entire season. Each driver may keep the number the following year provided he registers again. This way if a driver doesn't want to race the following year the number will become available again.

If a driver want's to run in different regions he can apply for the same number in each region and pay the fee at each region.