Is Right Side Net Mandatory in GTS?

Pinnacle Racing

So I drive an open top 914-6. As a result of the open roof, I am required (PCA Club Racing Rules) to wear arm restraints. This negates the need for a window net or a right side net. I actually do use a window net, but installation based on 914 cockpit could prove to be a challenge for a right side net. It gets in the way of shifting based on where it mounts to my rollcage. Does anyone know if I can run without it legally? I checked the Nasa Competition Rules and I could not find info regarding this.

I'm not sure how this applies to an open top race car such as yours, but the rule mandating the use of right side net is here:

15.17.9 Head Restraint – Side Impact

All vehicles must be outfitted with a right-side impact head restraint system. A seat with

a “bolster” to keep the head from moving to the right side in an impact is acceptable. A

side-impact head-net restraint system, such as the Safety Solutions C5R Driver Net is

also acceptable. Note- all side-impact head-net restraint systems must have a quickrelease

mechanism to aid the driver in case of a necessary egress via the passenger

side. Does not apply to formula cars or sports racers.

And the rule on window nets:

15.10 Windows / Window Nets

Unless class rules specify otherwise, vehicles should be operated with both side

windows (driver and passenger) windows down (open). Note- rear side windows (e.g.

four door vehicles) may be in the “up” or “down” position.

Window nets shall be used on the driver’s side window. The net shall be installed with a

quick release mechanism at the top front mount so as to allow the window net to fall

toward the floor of the vehicle when released. Fasteners must be metal and must be

attached to the roll cage, and not the door or body. Drilling holes in the roll cage to

mount the window net is strictly prohibited unless properly “bushed” (not recommended).

No plastic ties or Bungee (type) cords allowed. The window net must be in very good

condition and carry an SFI label indicating a date showing that the net is less than five

(5) years old.

You will need either the right side net or a head containment seat. The arms aren't the issue-the idea is to keep your bean and upper body from snapping around in a heavy hit to the side.

-JWL

As a result of the open roof, I am required (PCA Club Racing Rules) to wear arm restraints. This negates the need for a window net or a right side net.

A right side net has nothing to do with restraining your arms/hands. It's all about controlling your upper body in an offset impact and guiding it back into the seat during rebound from any front or offset impact.

Well, that seems to sum it up for me. I have the Schroth version of a right side net. We will probably install it this week. Thank you guys...

You will need either the right side net or a head containment seat.

I think this rule should be looked at further by nasa.

Right side nets should be required whether or not you have a head restraint seat.

As Bryan mentioned, right side nets control your upper body by keeping you in the seat or guiding your body back in to the seat. Head restraint seats do just that, restrain your head in side/offest impacts.

In a car with a head restraint seat that does not have a right side net, during an offset impact it's very possible for your body to come out of the seat. When you rebound, it's possible your head to get caught outside the halo which would not be pretty. I saw a video of this a while back (from crash testing i think) but i havent been able to locate that video recently.

After taking a pretty hard side hit recently, i'm very thankful that bmwcca club racing requires sides nets (regardless of what seat type you use). I use a racetech halo seat and run a right side net. I honestly thought it was a light impact until i saw the in car video. The seat and net definitely helped keep me safe.