Census - AIX Cars

PAI Racing

OK, guys this is a question I have asked a few times in casual conversation...

How many AIX cars actually exist?

I think it would be useful to have AIX car owners respond and let everyone know a few things about them/their cars. It might be useful to know what chassis, what part of the country the car is located in, what the status of the car is (under construction, racing, race ready but sitting in the garage, etc.) and how many races the car is expected to show up at next season.

I'll start - Sean Kanaley, PAI Racing: I have a '67/'68 Camaro, I am in Southern California and the car is complete and race ready. I currently expect to run 3 or 4 local events next season.

I can see it now...

(in front of group)

John: Hi, my name is John and I'm an AIX Racer...

Group: Hiiiiii Joohhnn!!!!

John Joyce, AIX West #18, 1971 Camaro, currently racing and planing on racing next year.

edited to add wit, I hope

Edited by Guest

Todd Covini

Texas AIX Project

1967 Mustang Fastback

currently a fresh roller chassis

Plans are for minimum 500 HP/ 500 TQ/ Full Griggs GR350

Will debut in 2nd Half of 2006 for sorting...race in 2007.

-=- Todd

Two more AIX cars being built in San diego. A '86 Mustang is being built by JME Enterprises for the 2005 sesson. We here at JMC motorsports are building a '95 Mustang for the 2005 sesson as well. We will be building 302 based blocked engines for both cars. We hope to compete in all of the AIX races on the West coast next year.

JWL, 1989 son-of-Fairmont, HP depends on what motor blew up the previous weekend. Returning to run this year for the season finale at Vegas and probably a limited AIX-West season in 2005 with some cross-country action as well.

-JWL

Chris Griswold Ohio/Indiana Raced all 2004 in NASA & Midwestern Council. 1986 Mustang 408 C.I 540 h.p. at the wheels. 3050# with driver. Car has been in development (racing) for 4 years, Plan on running entire 2005 season.

Funny, I've seen a bunch of WC AIX cars and none of them have been pre-72. I guess the "unlimited" class guys aren't as concerned with rules discussions- most of which seem to be for AI.

I'm Dave Diehl OH/IN #46 AIX pilot - 351W motor pulling about 400 crank HP (as of this note) - car is a '95 Mustang Cobra R spec and has been around the block a few times - the driver is a green grass rookie.

I plan to run about 80% of the 2005 schedule (if I am so blessed) - have to get that scarlet letter "R" off of the beast. Not sure where I'm headed, depending on where the rules end up I may detune and go AI or I may get a wild hair and tweek the HP up a bit. First thing is to get a lot more seat time for the nut that holds the wheel.

And yes - I am having FUN!

Gene Borton...

Ohio/Indiana AI/X #50

SN95 Mustang

428 cid Windsor

800 horsepower (no just kidding)

I will try and run a full race season in 2005, tried to this year but Murphy just would have that!!!

I vote for leaving AI/X the class that you bring out the EXTREME and leave the the little boys to play in the play pen....LOL!

(Your Name Can Be Here)

89 Mustang Coupe Griggs Racing #40 2 time West Coast AIX Champion.

27 wins 7 2nds 25 poles out of 35 races.

Hp depends on what parts are in the back room.

Doc Jewell

1965 Mustang

302, toploader, heavy w/ no brakes.

I'm not sure of how many NASA races. I haven't seen the '05 NASA-SE schedule. I think you'll see alot of old mustangs in the SE region (it's vintage friendly).

I'll also race the full vintage schedule.

David Morrison

Southeast Region

# 9 1988 Mustang Coupe

374 cu (not a stroker)

HP ? .... Yes

Kenny Brown Suspension

Finished car (enough to bring to the track) in June and raced 3 weekends. Plan on full schedule next year (2005) and plan on more mods to the car over the winter. Basically was a test and tune year so far. Would like to cross over to other regions and "test" other AIX cars. I hear the OH/IN region is looking for some competition in AIX !!! Hopefully Mansier and Pantas will at least run the Nashville Superspeedway ROVAL again. I think Cobetto and Pantas are looking at some events too. A Mid-Ohio national event would be great ...like this year (I did not attend). Hopefully the Southeast region will not plan a Roebling Road event...just got back this past weekend and was black flagged all weekend for too loud an engine (110 Db)!!! If you are in AIX ...and build a monster...it should sound like a monster...not an electric golf cart!!

Paul Bird

Ohio/Indiana AIX

96 Mustang Cobra

Built 4.6 DOHC

Intercooled twin Garrett GTBB turbos

Planning on running a partial season in 2005 and complete in 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Felix

1994 Ex- Doug Rippie World Challenge Camaro

Arizona Region AIX, Pro Autosports PS-0

Currently Being Refreshed

Building 383 LT1 (500 hp?)

Target completion 3/05 - Rookie

• 1 month later...

Paul Ferrell, 94 mustang Gt , 414inch n/a windsor, (not a stroker) Maximum motorsports suspension and brakes are done. Gutting and caging and installiing drivetrain this winter.As soon as I pick a transmission! Plan to run 05 for more seat time and liscense , AIX in 06 OH/IN region I guess would be my closest.

Paul Ferrell, 94 mustang Gt , 414inch n/a windsor, (not a stroker) Maximum motorsports suspension and brakes are done. Gutting and caging and installiing drivetrain this winter.As soon as I pick a transmission! Plan to run 05 for more seat time and liscense , AIX in 06 OH/IN region I guess would be my closest.

Hey, I see you're not far from us over here in St.Louis. You're more than welcome to come over to our shop sometime where we work on our AIX car...we share shop space with another American Iron racer (Richard Cranston) and have a few other projects going on right now as well...

It would be nice to meet another guy from the area involved in road racing.

Thanks, Kurt I would appreciate the chance to meet you both and see your cars. I am still trying to learn all I can about the series and the cars. Michael Van Zant from SVTOA told me there was a beautiful American Iron car in St Louis it must be you guys! I will keep in touch and maybe hook up with you guys on the weekend sometime. Thanks again. Paul

I have a 71 Mach 1 that is slowly morphing toward AIX. The remaining obstacles include completion of the rear suspension and a competition license for the driver. The rest of the car will be finished as I can afford it and barring any unforseen military deployments I am hoping to start out by 06. Until then it will be HPDE's and trying to get a license. I have done the amatuer club level thing for years but never this seriously.

Kevin

Just as an FYI, based on this census there were 10 cars racing AIX for nationally in '04 (I also included Dreier and Smith).

There were 20 cars total on this list and I know that some of the drivers are moving to other classes, some of the 2005 completion dates will be optomistic and some people will come out of the woodwork for '05.

Interesting statistics. You'd think with only 20 or so guys actually involved in running in this class that the rules discussion would be easier.

Buddy Cisar, Omaha Nebraska

95 Mustang Cobra AIX

351, Super T-10

HPM front, Griggs rear

Raced with TX region at Hallett in August 04

Barry Kline Mpls mn.

Good ole #66 94 Cobra (just dyno'd,only 376 rwhp--- no wonder Griz dissapeared so fast )

2005 under construction ( the hp shortfall is being addressed )