2005 Rules - Strut Towers

RichardC

This came up in the Frame Notching thread and I thought it was worth starting another thread for it.

Firstly are there any existing AI cars that have modified the front strut towers?

Current strut and SLA packages I know of do not require strut tower modification. So I propose that we do not allow any strut tower mods in AI. All the wild and wacky mods can be left to AIX.

Richard.

Cosmo,

I guess you read the rule differently than I did, the rule may well be correct but the way it is written with both AI and AIX in the same paragraph is confusing. See below, does the last sentence only apply to AIX or both AI and AIX.

"All cars must have OEM front and rear shock towers in the same location as stock. AI cars must utilize the OEM rear shock towers for rear shock attachment. Attachment of camber or caster adjusting devices is

unrestricted. AIX cars must have OEM shock towers in place and resemble the factory build. The shock towers may be modified to facilitate suspension component fitment (i.e. SLA, etc) but must retain the

general shape, structure and location as stock."

Richard.

Okay, I didn't look at the rules and it bit me. I think that a little language clarification is all that is needed for this rule.

Yes Richard, I agree that minimal modifications should be allowed to strut/shock towers on AI cars. I know that a few people with Mustangs, and probably a 3rd gen Camaro or 2 have enlarged the slots on their strut towers to gain some camber adjustment. Much more than that shouldn't be necessary.

Edit: I have drilled holes in the strut tower to plumb brakes, so I hope that doesn't make the car illegal.

Totally agree with you Cosmo.

Slotting holes or adding camber plates acheives the same thing and I don't think anyone has a problem with that.

The more you read that rule the stranger it gets, should AIX have OEM towers, resemble factory or just general shape, material and location. It just needs to be totally rewritten with emphatic statements.

Richard.

I would also agree that a change in wording or clarification from the directors would be helpful. If their original idea was to allow the strut towers to be cut through to mount an SLA it isn't particularly clear there. If that is the intent, I'd also like to suggest that we not allow that. Leave that also for AI/X.

Am I off base here or is it that the rules are not clear to me.....the way I read the paragraph it almost looks like SLA front suspension is NOT ALLOWED in AI.....or is it only if there is no alteration to the Strut Tower?

Dave,

I'm not sure how you read that into it but it's another example of how this needs to be rewritten.

I guess if that was the case I would have to run AIX with you!

Richard.

"All cars must have OEM front and rear shock towers in the same location as stock. AI cars must utilize the OEM rear shock towers for rear shock attachment. Attachment of camber or caster adjusting devices is

unrestricted. AIX cars must have OEM shock towers in place and resemble the factory build. The shock towers may be modified to facilitate suspension component fitment (i.e. SLA, etc) but must retain the

general shape, structure and location as stock."

The last sentence almost sounds like it is speaking directly to the AIX build. I agree Richard, this area needs to be re-written to end any confusion.

If someone feels that this is a worthwhile subject to call it's own, I will post a new thread.

Would it be worthwhile to go to the effort of writing two seperate rules. One for AI and one for AI/X? It would seem some of the confusion including the strut tower thing seem to come from the wording as to which class. Just a thought. I know what a pain in the butt it is to write rules.