Interior Gutting 95 M3

JohnC

I am gutting the interior, dash, etc on my '95 M3 this weekend, any advise/shortcuts for easy/safe removal of dash, airbags, etc? I'm prepping the car for a cage and everything needs to be removed. Goal is to prep the car for GTS2/3 in 2009.

Thanks,

John

Just disconnect the battery before you remove the air bags. To be 110% safe touch the pos. and neg. cable ends together. Then just handle carefully. I also store them with the face up - that way if some freak accident happens and they deploy, they don't get launched! Probably overkill but whatever.

Keep in mind that anything you remove without damage, you can possibly sell. You can sell almost anything on ebay.

It's a good way to augment your race budget.

-Take the windshield out first. It makes working on all the stuff under the dash much, much easier.

-Remove the bolts that join the two halves of the door hinges and throw them away. Open the door and lift up and the whole thing comes right off. Your cage builder will thank you.

-Use a heat gun and plastic putty knife to remove the tar sound insulation. The adhesive left behind is easily cleaned up with the aerosol version of goof off (it contains xylene which other versions of goof-off do not).

-You only need 1 wire going to the trunk for brake lights.

-Almost every item in the interior can be sold. My donor car (a 328) was darn near paid for by the interior bits.

-Break out the cutting wheel now. It's a lot more difficult when the cage is in.

Thanks all for the suggestions. We pulled all the interior, dash etc. this weekend and made sure the car would run without incident which it did. Need to remove all the window mechanisms, remove the sound deadening material and then cut the inside driver door panels out to make room for the nascar bars. Should be ready for the cage soon. Dave we are doing the work over at Kevins I'll let you know when we will be back to finish the work. Mac Miller dropped by to see the car, he was very helpful.

John