2005 Rules - Door bars

mwilson7

Can anyone tell me why AI rules state that NASCAR style door bars are required if you remove the factory door bars? There are many other car designs out there which provide the same (or a higher) level of protection AND provide rigidity to the chassis as well. Considering the variability in cage designs that I have seen it wouldn't matter what type of design you requested/required.

I've had other people ask why modified X's aren't allowed according to the rulebook if you remove the door bars but can be used if you submit the design before hand (like we did).

Let not drag the roll cage/driver protection issue into the quagmire of the minutia of rules and regulations. Perhaps the rules could be re-written to say something to the effect of: Doors that have been altered and have the factory door bars removed must provide additional driver protection via. protection bars on the roll cage (ie. NASCAR style). Perhaps a new built project design must be submitted or reviewed by the Directors prior to fabrication or at least approved prior to first event as it is now (pre-race inspection).

I don't want the rules ladened with things such as number of NASCAR door bars, location of ribs, inches away from door skin, color of paint, atmospheric pressure when welding etc.

Once we start regulating the details, we may miss the next potential improvement (the ole blind obediance).

Most of these rules threads are highlighting a concerning factor for me, and that is how often rules that are explicitely written in the rule book are simply overruled after a quick conversation with a NASA official.

We might aswell disregard the rule book and just ask an official through every step of a car build.

Richard.

Mark,

I totally agree with you on this. If an X style door bar is good enough to run in the 24 hours of Le Man then it is good enough for AI/AIX.

Doors that have been altered and have the factory door bars removed must provide additional driver protection via. protection bars on the roll cage (ie. NASCAR style).

This to me is perfect wording. I would only change it to this: (ie. NASCAR or FIA style door bars).

I am interested in this myself. I have seen plenty of “nascar” bars that really don’t appear to provide much more protection than an X. I haven’t looked at the NASA rules lately, but I believe they suggest that nascar type door bars be extended out to the doorskin which does provide considerably more crush than an X bar. I would like to know if crush structures, like those used on many European cars and the cadallac WC cars, are allowed. They can be attached to an X bar and possibly save any damage to the cage in a side impact.

Most of these rules threads are highlighting a concerning factor for me, and that is how often rules that are explicitely written in the rule book are simply overruled after a quick conversation with a NASA official.

We might aswell disregard the rule book and just ask an official through every step of a car build.

Richard.

Hey, this sounds familiar.

I concur with Mark opening statements. I think the wording needs some work, but I certainly think that suggesting that "NASCAR" bars are the only way to build a safe car is ridiculous.